Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
BTW, the OP asked abut the K2000, not the K200D. Between the K-x and K2000, it's an absolutely no-brainer - there is no a single respect in which the K2000 is better (although it might be cheaper, of course). But with the k200D, it's more of a prioritization thing - it has some advantages over the K-x, but the K-x has some over the K200D.

Not sure how much the price difference is, but I'd look at this this way: two years from now, will be you be more concerned about the difference in cost, or the difference in camera? For cameras that are close in features, it wouldn't take much of a price differential to make me pick the cheaper one. But the K-x is *so* much better, I wouldn't be looking at the K-m unless I could save, say, $300-400.

01-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Vote for K-X

I've shot with the K10, K-M, K7, and K-X.

If I really, really, really had to stick with one, I'd pick the K-X because, among other things, I shoot more indoors than outdoors. There's no comparison in image quality at low light, high ISO. Not close.

I get shots I'd never get otherwise and that's the key.

Nor do I like the K-M white balance or focusing ability in yellowish light, even outdoors early AM and late PM.

I won't go on. Pick the K-X and save for lenses. Check the used market. Anything that allows you to keep the K-X.

But if you insist on the K-M (K2000), I'm more than willing to part with mine

And if you're wondering, I'm dumping the K10 and K-M, keeping the K7 for (generally) outdoors and K-X for (generally) indoors. I know, I'm a lucky guy. Spending retirement money early.
01-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
...But with the k200D, it's more of a prioritization thing - it has some advantages over the K-x, but the K-x has some over the K200D.
Whether it is the K-m/K2000 or K200D, the K-x's CMOS sensor pretty much betters the CCD sensors from the earlier cameras. The noticeable difference is that the K200D has the front e-dial and weather sealing. In every other area (AF speed, fps, WB, video, LV, etc) the new K-x is ahead.
01-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks for the insight, glanglois. The info about focusing and white balance is exactly what I am looking for.

I've looked at the stats and the reviews, and the kx looks better on paper, but it is hard to say how those stats translate into performance.

If the performance of the kx is better in general (not just at high iso), then it is a no brainer, but if it only performs better in one specific case it is not worth the extra money.

That said, I am still considering both cameras. The 2 lens kit will be usable on my next camera, which means that I don't have to worry about a kit when I upgrade in a couple of years. On the other hand, the kx looks more future proof than the k2000, which means that I can wait a bit longer before I am compelled to replace it. That extra time might pay for the extra lens, and I can always cruise the marketplace and scoop up a 55-(200, 300) when someone else is ready to upgrade.

01-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spinwards Quote
If the performance of the kx is better in general (not just at high iso), then it is a no brainer, but if it only performs better in one specific case it is not worth the extra money.
It's around 2.2 megapixels better in general.

Pentax K-x brief hands-on: Digital Photography Review (scroll down to the comparison)
01-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #21
Igilligan

I am not sure ever told us...

spinwards, I may have missed it, but how much is the K2000 + 2 lens kit?

As I mentioned the Kx with 18-55 + 55-300 is on amazon, from amazon... for $643.99

I cant imagine the K2000 two kit being a whole lot cheaper.
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #22
Damn Brit

You could consider signing up for the Amazon credit card, that will take $40 off the total for the two lens kit. I'm sure your wife would turn a blind eye at the odd few dollars.You need never use the card again.
I say this because the 55-300 really is a good lens and at under $100 dollars (1 lens kit $549), you would be foolish to miss out on it. The 55-300 is $350 to buy on its own.

01-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #23
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can always add lenses later on, so if you are really stuck financially but are OK to save up for the 55-300 later, the K-x is still a better camera than the K-m/K2000 and worth going for.
Nevertheless I don't think you'll be disappointed with the K-m if that's the way you decide to go.
01-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #24

I own both. I would have stayed with the Km as it is a very good camera for the money. I shoot a lot of high ISO indoors, however, and the Kx is far better for my uses. The Km, however, was a huge upgrade from the K10D that I also owned. The two lens kit is a very good deal.
01-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I recently bought my K2000 (KM Canada), and if I had to redo my purchase I would probably take the KX. Mind you the K2000 isn't a bad camera by any means but the extra features that the KX has make it a much better choice over a KM even with the 2 lens kit. Live View, 11 AF points, HDR, HD video, etc. I would say get the KX use it for awhile and then get a 55-300mm lens after you saved up. You can get a used 50-200 in good condition for $100 or less.
01-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bought a K2000 in July. Took some good photos with it. Focuses faster than K20d. IQ very good.

Bought a K-x in December and gave K2000 to father-in-law. High ISO rocks of course, and IQ is also very good (I'm not a pixel peeper). Video is fun to play with too. But one of the overlooked differences between the K2000 and K-x is the interface. Pentax made the info screen a whole lot more usable on the K-x.

The first info screen duplicates many of the hard buttons on the K20d. Not as quick as hard buttons, but pretty darn fast. The second info screen has a second set of frequently used settings and it's very fast and easy - in many cases faster than the menu system of the K20d.

Finally, the K2000 has a nicer shutter sound, FWIW, like a sharp pair of scissors. The K-x is not only louder but less refined.

You won't go wrong either way, but I'd get the K-x, even if you only got the 18-55 kit. You'll have more room to grow.
01-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Whether it is the K-m/K2000 or K200D, the K-x's CMOS sensor pretty much betters the CCD sensors from the earlier cameras
That much appears to be true, yes, although there is an element of subjectivity here, and some do find they prefer the 10MP CCD sensor at lower ISO.

QuoteQuote:
The noticeable difference is that the K200D has the front e-dial and weather sealing. In every other area (AF speed, fps, WB, video, LV, etc) the new K-x is ahead.
This much is not quite true. First, the K200D does not have the front dial. However, it does have a number of other advantages over the K-x beyond the sealing (which is significant in itself, of course). Off the top of my head: top LCD, focus point indicators in viewfinder, wired remote port, ability with manual lenses to have both Green button stop down metering and DOF preview functionality simultaneously and without requiring a mirror flip.

So as I said, there are tradeoffs here. For *most* people, the K-x will indeed be the better choice, but it is important to be specific about the differences, as unlike the K2000, the K200D *does* have some advantages that may or may not be significant to a given photographer.
01-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
..........snip.....
.... First, the K200D does not have the front dial. However, it does have a number of other advantages over the K-x beyond the sealing (which is significant in itself, of course). Off the top of my head: top LCD, focus point indicators in viewfinder, wired remote port, ability with manual lenses to have both Green button stop down metering and DOF preview functionality simultaneously and without requiring a mirror flip.

So as I said, there are tradeoffs here. For *most* people, the K-x will indeed be the better choice, but it is important to be specific about the differences, as unlike the K2000, the K200D *does* have some advantages that may or may not be significant to a given photographer.
Marc and those who have the K-x:
I have the k200d and am contemplating selling it to get the K-x 2 lens deal.
But, I thought the K-x has the green button? How does one meter with an M42 or MF lens without it?
The other items mentioned:
top LCD, focus point indicator, wired remote port and DOF preview I might be able to live w/o but no green button metering, hmm....
01-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #29
Veteran Member

If the Kx kept the same button layout as the Km then the green button has been replaced by the +/- button that does the EV.
01-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #30
Forum Member

No, K-X has the green button next to the exp comp button on top right behind the shutter. if you get on dpreview i am sure they would have a picture of the k-x in the recent review of the camera