Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got my K100D in

got questions. First use I used the Sigma lens. Worked fine. Now I have a pre A lens on and can't get the shutter to fire. I've set it for manual, in Av mode. Of course as usual the F is blinking and not showing any f number. How do I get this thing to fire so I can use this lens, J C Penney 28-80mm.

01-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You'd want to read this thread here: shooting-manual-lenses-pentax-dslrsl and read this here: Link

Basically, you need to go in the menu, and change your custom settings for your K100D to allow the use of the aperture ring. You can only use the Manual mode, and control the aperture (ring) and shutter speed (dial) yourself. Any other mode (Av included) will result in you shooting on largest aperture opening available on the lens.

Also I'm afraid your blinking F- will never show the aperture stop. It's the curse of the pre-A lens

Last edited by Novocain; 01-07-2010 at 01:00 PM.
01-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Novocain. I'll check the articles. I should have searched before asking but I was in a hurry to use this free lens I got, sent to me by a member here.
01-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Did what the article said, now I'm not getting any images when I press the shutter. All I get is a blank LCD. And I know the camera works in auto mode and in av with manual focus because I took photos with before I tried this lens.

01-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is what I got when trying to shoot this with manual settings and a manual lens:

Also, can the dpi be changed so when shooting jpeg, it isn't set a 72dpi?
01-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Also, can the dpi be changed so when shooting jpeg, it isn't set a 72dpi?
First the question above: I think yoo need to go into your camera menu and change the Quality Level setting [my DS has a Raw setting and 3 Jpeg settings].

As for using the manual lens [this works for my DS]: You need to go into the Custom Settings menu (not the Record menu) and set the "Using the Aperature Ring" to 2 (permitted), set the mode to Av, press the AE-Lock button (this will activate the aperature and allow the camera to set the shutter speed for the aperature you selected. The F value will not show on your screen.

Enjoy the new lens.

Tim

PS: If the AE-Lock doesn't do the trick, you might try pressing the shutter half-way to activate the aperature/metering system.

Last edited by atupdate; 01-07-2010 at 03:51 PM.
01-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Tim. No idea about the dpi size in the jpeg settings? I'll try the other tomorrow. It's dark here now and I'm not going outside.

Tried pressing the shutter half way down before thinking this would give me a preview of shot but that didn't work, it just trips the shutter. Touchy that.

This camera has soo many buttons, I'm not sure which to press or not press. I accidently pressed AE_Lock button earlier but I don't know if it changed anything. LOL

01-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks Tim. No idea about the dpi size in the jpeg settings? I'll try the other tomorrow. It's dark here now and I'm not going outside.

Tried pressing the shutter half way down before thinking this would give me a preview of shot but that didn't work, it just trips the shutter. Touchy that.

This camera has soo many buttons, I'm not sure which to press or not press. I accidently pressed AE_Lock button earlier but I don't know if it changed anything. LOL
The highest quality Jpeg setting should produce a higher dpi count in the file and a larger file size. If you are on the highest Jpec setting (My DS has 1 star, 2 stars, and 3 stars with 3 being the highest Jpeg quality).

When you press the AE-Lock button, you should hear the lens shut the aperature down to your selected setting (unless you have it set wide open - the larger the number the smaller the aperature setting). When the aperature closes, the meter in the camera will set the shutter speed for the proper exposure. If it doesn't set the shutter speed, you may need to bump the ISO to a higher number to get the correct exposure for the light available.

Tim
01-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
It doesn't, at least looking at the details in Faststone and Pentax's software, it shows 72dpi even though the camera is set to the highest jpeg, 3 stars.

I'll listen next time I press that button. And I'll check ISO settings also. I have to see the manual to know how to set that up. So, many buttons, which one to push now, eh.
01-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

PL sent you a pm

George
01-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
PM answered George.

Tim, I did what you said about the settings. I took a photo with those settings tonight and it worked this time. So, thanks for the help.

Soon as it warms up here a bit in the morning, I'll go outside and take some photos with that lens.
01-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The dpi setting stored by the camera is not important; you can safely ignore it. The camera is just putting 72 into that field because the standard rewquires some number to be stored their, but it doens't mean the image can only be printed at 72dpi. The actual resolution will be the number of dots in the image (3000 on the long dimension) by whatever size you print. There are quite a few long and rather argumentative threads o this topic in these forums that you cn read if you really wish, but the bottom line is, there is absolutely no reason to be the slightest bit concerned that your camera puts 72 into that field. It's completely normal, and in no way prevents you form printing at higher resolution.
01-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

PM answered George.

Tim, I did what you said about the settings. I took a photo with those settings tonight and it worked this time. So, thanks for the help.

Soon as it warms up here a bit in the morning, I'll go outside and take some photos with that lens.
That's great. Since I don't shot with manual lenses all that often, I had to pull out my cheat sheet that I keep tucked in my owners manual.

Tim