Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

So, crunch time or more wait time?

A while ago I popped up a thread about how I am looking to invest in a new camera system. I shoot Nikon film and digital at present. It has served me well but Nikon and Canons new offerings are somewhat bland / hyped / too meeeh (can't think of the word). I have sold / given away most of my kit and currently use a 28mm f/2.8 and an 80-200 f/2.8 (which has been bodge fixed with duct tape ). I am finding it difficult to make the move / purchase anything.

The ever dreadful "Whats round the corner?" gremlin has me tied down with fear of buying anything for it to be superseded the following week. Although this approach applies to anything and if caught in the bubble you will never upgrade. I have done everything I have wanted on my D200 for the past 4 years (maybe 5) so why can't I do it for the next 5? That question is driving me nuts.

What it boils down to is color. The CCD sensor in my D200 produces some fantastic color. With out a doubt. I just feel that the new CMOS sensor lacks the subtle tonality of its predecessor. My style of work is to produce images that gently represent the actual subject matter. I achieve this through the minimum amount of PS and or Lightroom editing. I feel the D200 CCD sensor is what helps achieve this look (along with my actual photographic skill). But can this be replicated on a newer camera? Will post processing work double if a new camera doesn't produce the out of camera color that I require? I have browsed countless images here, flickr, sites, reviews and magazines and come to appreciate the color, tonality and detail of the Pentax range. So why am I unable to make any purchase?

So can anyone help me figure this out?

Last edited by King_Boru; 01-07-2010 at 12:18 PM.
01-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by King_Boru Quote
With out a doubt. I just feel that the new CMOS sensor lacks the subtle tonality of its predecessor. My style of work is to produce images that gently represent the actual subject matter. I achieve this through the minimum amount of PS and or Lightroom editing. I feel the D200 CCD sensor is what helps achieve this look (along with my actual photographic skill). But can this be replicated on a newer camera? Will post processing work double if a new camera doesn't produce the out of camera color that I require?
If you're shooting in raw, and it sounds like you are, then I imagine you can make yourself pretty happy REGARDLESS of what system you use.

Raw is exactly that . . . raw data. Most tonality, subtlety, whatever, emerges out of the raw processing. You can make it as garish or as soothing as you wish. It sounds like you already have a Lightroom preset that is doing most of the heavy lifting for you, and provides you with results you like out of your D200.

What you'll probably need to do, if you get a new camera, is spend some time working on a new preset that makes you equally happy. After that, your postprocessing work shouldn't take much more time, on average.

I won't entirely discount the effects of the sensor (CMOS vs. CCD, different manufacturers, etc.) or lenses, but as you have noted yourself, you've seen an awful lot of good pictures. So I don't think a new camera will hurt. Sensors are better in pretty much every way these days, except maybe low-ISO-noise-per-pixel, but that's more than rectified by the higher resolution.

But hey, results speak for themselves. If you are happy with the results you're getting yourself with current equipment, maybe there's no real need to upgrade. And maybe that's why you haven't.
01-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree there.
Nowadays, each system's top dSLRs all produce excellent results - all now featuring modern CMOS sensors with comparable IQ to the old CCDs.
You may just be hesitating to go with a smaller niche system that offers just about the same quality without the big name.
Get a K-7 in your hands with some fine lenses to test them out and see what you think.
01-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Wait, eventually old age, arthritis and failing eyesight will take the choice out of your hands so you won't have to agonise anymore.
Or, you could man-up and bite the bullet. Don't think about the technology you might be missing out on, think about the pictures you're not taking.

01-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No reason to upgrade

My guess is that you have no compelling reason to upgrade. Thats why all the offerings are uncompelling.

the problem isnt the camera. If you had no problems with the D200, then get one of those. The problem may be creative motivation. Maybe spend your money on a trip? a class?

-k
01-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Wait, eventually old age, arthritis and failing eyesight will take the choice out of your hands so you won't have to agonise anymore.
Or, you could man-up and bite the bullet. Don't think about the technology you might be missing out on, think about the pictures you're not taking.
Too true.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Agree there.
Nowadays, each system's top dSLRs all produce excellent results - all now featuring modern CMOS sensors with comparable IQ to the old CCDs.
You may just be hesitating to go with a smaller niche system that offers just about the same quality without the big name.
Get a K-7 in your hands with some fine lenses to test them out and see what you think.
Maybe a tad worried and probably unwarranted. I have tried my damndest to get hold of a K-7 and some limited series lenses to put through their paces but to no avail.

QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
My guess is that you have no compelling reason to upgrade. Thats why all the offerings are uncompelling.

the problem isnt the camera. If you had no problems with the D200, then get one of those. The problem may be creative motivation. Maybe spend your money on a trip? a class?

-k
I don't think a class would work, I have already spent $60,000 on a University Degree. Although perhaps some motivation is required. I'll drag my ass to some art galleries and seek some inner thought from the worlds classics. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
If you're shooting in raw, and it sounds like you are, then I imagine you can make yourself pretty happy REGARDLESS of what system you use.

Raw is exactly that . . . raw data. Most tonality, subtlety, whatever, emerges out of the raw processing. You can make it as garish or as soothing as you wish. It sounds like you already have a Lightroom preset that is doing most of the heavy lifting for you, and provides you with results you like out of your D200.

What you'll probably need to do, if you get a new camera, is spend some time working on a new preset that makes you equally happy. After that, your postprocessing work shouldn't take much more time, on average.

I won't entirely discount the effects of the sensor (CMOS vs. CCD, different manufacturers, etc.) or lenses, but as you have noted yourself, you've seen an awful lot of good pictures. So I don't think a new camera will hurt. Sensors are better in pretty much every way these days, except maybe low-ISO-noise-per-pixel, but that's more than rectified by the higher resolution.

But hey, results speak for themselves. If you are happy with the results you're getting yourself with current equipment, maybe there's no real need to upgrade. And maybe that's why you haven't.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to analyze it a little more, I know, just being a wimp, but I am truly hoping that, when the time comes it will be a purchase that sits with me for at least another 5 or even longer years.

*RANT WARNING*

What really makes my blood boil is Alamy rejecting images as they are "soft" according to their ridiculous quality control requirements. Trying to blow up a 10mp D200 image into a 50+ megabyte sized JPEG is a joke to start with. That's approximately 80% larger than the original. I'll just say that the originals are perfectly in focus, dust, scratch and everything else free. I feel as if an upgrade is required in terms of stock photography sales as well. Following the boiling blood comes extreme heart burn when the rejected images are printed 13x19 inches in size perfectly fine and the majority of Alamy sales are no larger than a full magazine page! Arrg!

*RANT WARNING OVER*
01-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Without talking about system...one over the other for whatever reason, you are probably a big boy and can make that decision for yourself, I will say this....Don't always find yourself waiting on the next thing, and not pay too close attention to what's hot now. There are some fantastic bodies out right now and most of them are probably better than you can imagine, comparing to film. I am sure there will be bigger and better things in the future, hey, that's technology for you. Get with the now, invest in the best body you can afford versus the degree of your hobby/profession...you'll be glad you did.

Jason