Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K7 and 10-17mm fisheye zoom

Anybody try this combination yet? I'm curious to know what the effect of the K7's distortion and CA correction functions have on this lens. It also has a big purple bloom problem in high contrast situations and wonder if the K7 software does anything to help with this.

01-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #2

I have only used this combination shooting DNG's.

Examples here:

Tour de Bloc

and here:

Odense Total Boulder 2009

/thomas
01-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rusty Rat Quote
Anybody try this combination yet? I'm curious to know what the effect of the K7's distortion and CA correction functions have on this lens. It also has a big purple bloom problem in high contrast situations and wonder if the K7 software does anything to help with this.
I have a K-x and 10-17mm but they haven't met yet because my 10-17 is away for warranty service. Pentax says "Distortion correction is not applied to the DA 10-17mm Fisheye lens." The CA correction will be available, but only if you shoot in jpeg. Unfortunately the provided computer software cannot implement the corrections.
01-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thomas, very nice photo essay, except for that one photo with the Nikon in it. It certainly shows the versatility of the lens.

Dan, shooting in jpeg for CA correction makes sense as the RAW output is just that. Too bad that the distortion can't be taken out to turn this into a regular wide angle. I do have the PtLens plug-in installed so I'll see what that can do.

Thanks for the info.

01-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The distortion correction on the K-7 doesn't correct the distortion produced by the 10-17. The fish eye effect is a voluntary effect and Pentax decided to leave it untouched.
01-08-2010, 02:46 AM   #6

In-camera CA-correction also only works on jpegs, but I don't consider it a real problem, since it's very easy to remove in post, e.g. in Lightroom.

I really recommend the 10-17. It's fun to use, compact, and the build-quality is excellent (metal construction).
01-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
The distortion correction on the K-7 doesn't correct the distortion produced by the 10-17. The fish eye effect is a voluntary effect and Pentax decided to leave it untouched.
I'm pretty sure that when I RTFM, I read that the 10-17 was specifically excluded from distortion correction,

01-08-2010, 05:14 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can you imagine if someone wasn't paying attention and the camera de-fished all of their images? Most people shoot fisheyes for that effect.
01-08-2010, 05:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm pretty sure that when I RTFM, I read that the 10-17 was specifically excluded from distortion correction,
I think that's exactly what I said. Unless my English isn't as good as I thought.
01-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am buying the lens for the fisheye effect, however having the option to go rectilinear would've been nice. We'll see what PtLens can do with it.

I'm more concerned with purple blooming and CA as it's pretty bad at high contrast. In Thomas's photos, it's not evident as the corners didn't have high contrast.
01-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think that's exactly what I said. Unless my English isn't as good as I thought.
Well, yes, but in a different tone. :P Apparently the answer's in the manual!
01-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

As did Audiobomber before you
01-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I am buying the lens for the fisheye effect, however having the option to go rectilinear would've been nice. We'll see what PtLens can do with it.
I don't have PT Lens yet, but from what I've seen, it does an amazing job with defishing.

I'm more concerned with purple blooming and CA as it's pretty bad at high contrast. In Thomas's photos, it's not evident as the corners didn't have high contrast.
I haven't found the CA to be objectionable. Maybe my 10-17 is better than some, plus I believe I'm just not as sensitive to CA as some people.

01-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Audiobomber

Unfortunately I have not kept the test results, but I shot some office buildings against an overcast sky using a demo 10-17 and the CA + purple fringing was awful. Easily visible even in a relatively small image size. Every building had coloured edges, both sides. So I'm looking for a solution.

One thing I might try with Aperture for the purple fringing is it's colour controls as they can be narrowed to a very limited colour range and reduce the level of that colour. CA should be managed in software -- PtLens has CA controls, though my results to date with them has been iffy. I may look for another solution if the K7 doesn't do the trick with this lens.

Last edited by Rusty Rat; 01-08-2010 at 10:02 AM.