Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Strange results using non-pentax lens

I ran into a strange one the other day. I was using my 110D with a tokina 80~200 lens from my old SLR. Naturally the camera will only work in ap or manual so I took a few test shots in manual set at 11F in order to get decent exposure I had to go down to 125~180th on the shutter , but when I put it into apreture priority
with the same F11 the camera was picking shutter speeds between 750 and 1500 iso200 which looked better than my shots. So I tried to use the same shutter speeds in manual that the AP shots used and all I could get was a black shot. And I checked the camera stayed in iso200 for both AP and manual. Anybody have any idea how this could work.
Dave

06-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Most likely the lens does not have an "A" position on the aperture ring (or it was not set to "A" if it does), therefore in Av mode you were shooting wide-open.
06-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Yep, has NOTHING to do with it being a non-Pentax lens. Any lens without an 'A' on the aperture ring has to be shot in Manual mode. If you are in Av mode, the camera will ALWAYS shoot (and meter) wide open, regardless of what f-stop you select on the lens. Any Pentax M or K lens behaves this way.
06-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Are you using the AE-L button to meter the shots in manual mode? All my old manual lenses (no "A" settings) have been working great. If it helps this is what I have been doing. I have the camera set to "permitted" for the aperture ring. In manual mode, compose shot, select aperture, then press AE-L button to meter the shot. The camera stops down the aperture then selects the shutter speed for you. If this is acceptable, then take the picture. So far this has been a really accurate way to shoot for me. As already stated, in Av mode the aperture is wide open no matter what the ring is set at (for non "A" lenses).

HTH

06-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ok that makes sense now that I think about it , but I never had the problem before , but that's not to say I didn't notice before either
Thanks all
Dave