Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #1

K-x: question about autopict mode slow shutter speed with flash

I was taking indoor pictures last evening (incandescent light). Set the dial to Autopict mode. For some reason, the camera automatically selected the ''night scene portrait'' mode, which resulted in slow shutter speed even if the flash was used (speed as slow as 1/4 sec to 1/8 sec range). The slow shutter speed resulted in blurred images. The ISO was set to auto range (200-6400). The indoor lighting was not that dark (normal house living room lighting) so I wonder why the camera select such slow shutter speed. I enabled antishake and it helps a bit. I think 1/4 to 1/8sec range is way too slow if a flash is used.

Is there a way to tell the camera what scene mode it should select when shooting fully auto?

What is your suggesting in my case to avoid slow shutter speed?

Should I set to M and select the aperture and speed myself?

I am thinking a minimum shutter of 1/60sec with the built-in flash and stock zoom lens would be appropriate to prevent blurr. Personnaly I like using 1/180sec when a flash is used, the image is sharper with shorter exposure time.

Last edited by manteiv; 01-08-2010 at 07:15 AM.
01-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you checked your auto-iso range? Are you using fixed ISO. I don't use auto-pict mode. I mostly used P mode and adjust Av from the rear dial and pay attention to shutter. The P mode seems to prefer slower shutter to capture scene in the background. I have many shots in slow sync flash at night with shutter picked for 1/30 to 1/80 and it goes fine. If user movement is involved, used Tv and tune the auto-iso with a range to fit your needs.

Thanks,
Hin
01-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Have you checked your auto-iso range? Are you using fixed ISO. I don't use auto-pict mode. I mostly used P mode and adjust Av from the rear dial and pay attention to shutter. The P mode seems to prefer slower shutter to capture scene in the background. I have many shots in slow sync flash at night with shutter picked for 1/30 to 1/80 and it goes fine. If user movement is involved, used Tv and tune the auto-iso with a range to fit your needs.

Thanks,
Hin
The ISO was set to auto (200-6400) and the exif data showed that the camera chose 3200 most of the time

I tried also the M mode with an aperture around F4 to F5.6 using a shutter speed of 1/125 to 1/250, ISO 200, and got good results. But shooting in M is not all the time convenient when you are in a hurry. I would prefer to set to Autopict in some cases and let the camera decide.

That is strange because I had the K110D before and in autopict, the camera usually chose 1/250 with the built-in flash.
01-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera does the longer shutter speed in order to balance the flash-lit foreground with the ambient-lit background.
I don't know about the K-x's finer features but is there something in the manual that permits you to choose whether your camera automatically swtiches to night scene portrait mode or not?

If not, I'd suggest just using P mode with flash when handholding - much easier.

01-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

...is there something in the manual that permits you to choose whether your camera automatically swtiches to night scene portrait mode or not?

If not, I'd suggest just using P mode with flash when handholding - much easier.
I have not find a way to select which scene mode the camera decides to use when the dial is set to Autopict

I will experiment more about the P mode to use at least 1/60 when using flash
01-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manteiv Quote
Should I set to M and select the aperture and speed myself?

Yes. This is the prefered method for shooting with flash.
01-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manteiv Quote
I tried also the M mode with an aperture around F4 to F5.6 using a shutter speed of 1/125 to 1/250, ISO 200, and got good results. But shooting in M is not all the time convenient when you are in a hurry. I would prefer to set to Autopict in some cases and let the camera decide.

It really takes no time at all to go into M, lock the shutter at 1/180s, pick a suitable aperture, pop up the flash, and shoot. P-TTL will be smart enough to output enough flash for your subject.