Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 39
K-x: question about autopict mode slow shutter speed with flash

I was taking indoor pictures last evening (incandescent light). Set the dial to Autopict mode. For some reason, the camera automatically selected the ''night scene portrait'' mode, which resulted in slow shutter speed even if the flash was used (speed as slow as 1/4 sec to 1/8 sec range). The slow shutter speed resulted in blurred images. The ISO was set to auto range (200-6400). The indoor lighting was not that dark (normal house living room lighting) so I wonder why the camera select such slow shutter speed. I enabled antishake and it helps a bit. I think 1/4 to 1/8sec range is way too slow if a flash is used.

Is there a way to tell the camera what scene mode it should select when shooting fully auto?

What is your suggesting in my case to avoid slow shutter speed?

Should I set to M and select the aperture and speed myself?

I am thinking a minimum shutter of 1/60sec with the built-in flash and stock zoom lens would be appropriate to prevent blurr. Personnaly I like using 1/180sec when a flash is used, the image is sharper with shorter exposure time.


Last edited by manteiv; 01-08-2010 at 07:15 AM.
01-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,427
Have you checked your auto-iso range? Are you using fixed ISO. I don't use auto-pict mode. I mostly used P mode and adjust Av from the rear dial and pay attention to shutter. The P mode seems to prefer slower shutter to capture scene in the background. I have many shots in slow sync flash at night with shutter picked for 1/30 to 1/80 and it goes fine. If user movement is involved, used Tv and tune the auto-iso with a range to fit your needs.

Thanks,
Hin
01-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 39
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Have you checked your auto-iso range? Are you using fixed ISO. I don't use auto-pict mode. I mostly used P mode and adjust Av from the rear dial and pay attention to shutter. The P mode seems to prefer slower shutter to capture scene in the background. I have many shots in slow sync flash at night with shutter picked for 1/30 to 1/80 and it goes fine. If user movement is involved, used Tv and tune the auto-iso with a range to fit your needs.

Thanks,
Hin
The ISO was set to auto (200-6400) and the exif data showed that the camera chose 3200 most of the time

I tried also the M mode with an aperture around F4 to F5.6 using a shutter speed of 1/125 to 1/250, ISO 200, and got good results. But shooting in M is not all the time convenient when you are in a hurry. I would prefer to set to Autopict in some cases and let the camera decide.

That is strange because I had the K110D before and in autopict, the camera usually chose 1/250 with the built-in flash.
01-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
The camera does the longer shutter speed in order to balance the flash-lit foreground with the ambient-lit background.
I don't know about the K-x's finer features but is there something in the manual that permits you to choose whether your camera automatically swtiches to night scene portrait mode or not?

If not, I'd suggest just using P mode with flash when handholding - much easier.

01-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 39
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

...is there something in the manual that permits you to choose whether your camera automatically swtiches to night scene portrait mode or not?

If not, I'd suggest just using P mode with flash when handholding - much easier.
I have not find a way to select which scene mode the camera decides to use when the dial is set to Autopict

I will experiment more about the P mode to use at least 1/60 when using flash
01-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Outside of Philly
Posts: 1,564
QuoteOriginally posted by manteiv Quote
Should I set to M and select the aperture and speed myself?

Yes. This is the prefered method for shooting with flash.
01-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Outside of Philly
Posts: 1,564
QuoteOriginally posted by manteiv Quote
I tried also the M mode with an aperture around F4 to F5.6 using a shutter speed of 1/125 to 1/250, ISO 200, and got good results. But shooting in M is not all the time convenient when you are in a hurry. I would prefer to set to Autopict in some cases and let the camera decide.

.

It really takes no time at all to go into M, lock the shutter at 1/180s, pick a suitable aperture, pop up the flash, and shoot. P-TTL will be smart enough to output enough flash for your subject.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auto, autopict, camera, dslr, flash, mode, photography, range, scene, sec, shutter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
min shutter speed in Av mode with flash WMBP Pentax DSLR Discussion 32 03-31-2010 02:37 AM
K-x Av mode shutter speed question macky112 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 03-24-2010 10:13 AM
k10d flash and shutter speed question vsmouli Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 02-24-2010 02:55 PM
AF-360FGZ on K20D Slow Shutter Speed in Av Mode Peter71 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 09-11-2008 07:37 PM
Shutter speed too slow in Auto mode K200 PhotoGator Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 08-07-2008 05:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top