Neither 8023.26%
Both 349.88%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #46
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don't see EVIL cameras, or the 4/3 or mini 4/3 to really hold any market share
So you think them gaining significant market share last year is just a temporary blip and they will lose it again soon?

01-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
So you think them gaining significant market share last year is just a temporary blip and they will lose it again soon?
I believe so.

The reason is as follows

I have an EV camera I bought in 2004, I like it, I wish the X70 was out when I bought my Kodak DX7950, but it was a product line pentax did not have.

Although I like it and I use it when I travel, especially for work, the viewfinder is not the same asn a DSLR, electrical finders are OK on a sunny day but not at night or poor lighting. Due to the same issue of noise in our images in low light, the EV suffers similarly because it relies on the image sensor for viewing. The quality is terrible.

You can also use the viewing screen on the back, and this may be a little better, but then stick a 1-2 pound lens on the front and try to hold the camera. I challenge anyone to do this with the K20 or K7 which are much bigger and try to focus with live view.

I just don't see the practicality of it. Not for a serious photographer. not even for an amature.

Bridge cameras with Electronic viewfinders have very good fast lenses and most controls for a serious photographer, with the only shortcomings really being the lack of wide angle. My kodak is 38-380 equivelent and the X70 is 26 to 520.

Addmittadly the X70 is almost wide enough to be an all round travel camera, but when you consider I use a sigma 10-20 a lot for travel, it is not there yet.

The bridge camera is a good compromise, an EVIL would be a waste of time, just not significantly practical for most.
01-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #48
juu
Veteran Member

Lowell, the Kodak DX7950 was introduced in August 2004. That is half a decade ago, and as I understand, since then EVF and LCD technology has moved forward significantly - and will keep moving forward.

My reaction when I was trying out the Panasonic G1 LCD/EVF in store was "this might actually be good enough for my needs". Evidently, many people think the same. Time will tell, but I doubt it is just a blip.
01-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
Lowell, the Kodak DX7950 was introduced in August 2004. That is half a decade ago, and as I understand, since then EVF and LCD technology has moved forward significantly - and will keep moving forward.

My reaction when I was trying out the Panasonic G1 LCD/EVF in store was "this might actually be good enough for my needs". Evidently, many people think the same. Time will tell, but I doubt it is just a blip.
I think you will always hit the same wall. People won't want interchangeable lenses, they will want a zoom, and that's it, People who want interchangeable lenses will always get an SLR. the reason there is perceived demand for these things is because of the perception of pocked sized P&S with an SLR lens and image quality. It is a fools dream

01-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think we will be seeing entirely new sensors based on memory chip technology. These chips will be capable of 100 times the pixels of current sensors. There will be no need for FF. Additionally, it may be possible to gang smaller sensors with varied EV sensitivities to produce a true high dynamic range camera (with each EV +/- being exposed simultaneously).
01-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #51
Forum Member

Full Frame in K20D body would be nice. But Full Frame EVIL with K-mount in K-7 body would be better

Last edited by MiLKMAN; 01-17-2010 at 01:43 PM.
01-18-2010, 05:41 AM   #52
Veteran Member

i want either a faster processor OR better software in the bodies. being aps-c doesn't really create many issues in the real world, especially since pentax offers a full digital prime kit as well as pro zooms.

the focus system is accurate, but slow. is it the software or the hardware? upgrading the bottleneck could provide much faster focus. is the difference between canikon & pentax, a core2duo vs a p2 celeron? contrast focus should be fast.
01-18-2010, 06:14 AM   #53

FF? Don't want, don't care, I really don't give a damn.
EVIL? Ditto.

But would like to have faster AF, better QC on SDM motors, and 11-16 + 135-300 lenses in DA* 2.8.

And I can see a ready niche for the 645D... Why compete against C-N-S when you can jump them with MF? This would also be orgasmic for the measurebators out there.

01-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
no reason why an evil could not be full frame :P

I think what i really want though is a Kx size device with two dials, weather sealing, and the rest of the high end features.
01-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #55
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

FF, but it's got to be significantly better than the K-7 - around the 2k mark. But I can wait a couple of years having just bought the K-7.

EVIL: no need for this at all.
01-20-2010, 03:45 AM   #56

EVIL I guess.
However, I only recently bought a Pentax DSLR, so no new camera for me right now.
On the other hand, I can comfortably lean back and wait a few years to see what nice new toys they bring us...
01-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #57
Inactive Account

The reasons I voted for FF are two .
First, what one sees in a photo as resolution
isn't the "lines per mm" but the "lines per frame" that a lens is capable of . So with the current APS-C gear my older lenses suffer a "penalty factor" of 0,66x their effective potential (Quiz:Is it a marketing trick or else ?) .
The second reason is not the size of the APS-C sensor itself but of the single elements (pixels) .They are ( 2/3 x 2/3 =4/9 ) less than half the area of the elements of an FF sensor , the analysis remaining the same (that means same Megapixels). The smaller the area is for the same exposure value , the smaller the sample of light it picks and thus less accurate .This causes noise and must be fixed by interpolation , but this process softens the image , that now needs another operation , of sharpening this time .
To my opinion , both reasons are serious enough .
01-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #58
Veteran Member

That really depends on the prices they come out with
01-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #59
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
the focus system is accurate, but slow. is it the software or the hardware? upgrading the bottleneck could provide much faster focus. is the difference between canikon & pentax, a core2duo vs a p2 celeron? contrast focus should be fast.
My idea is - no, wait, don't leave! - a motor drive.

No, really. Have a big-arse, high-speed, high-torque motor in a grip, with a screw drive extending vertically into the camera, vertically. Chuck a spare battery in there to power it (to maintain the shots-per-charge of the camera with only its standard battery.)

The vertical screw drive engages a worm drive within the camera, and another pin on the grip enters near it, so as to disengage the camera's internal motor (preventing damage.)

Et voila, huge-arse motor now drives the focusing at a fantastic rate. Spinning focusing rings may rip your fingers off, though.
01-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #60
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Neither of these is high on my list, either.

Having just bought the K-x to fill the slot of a compact camera with high IQ, I'd probably say I'd get the electronic finder first. Lopping off 30mm or so from the top of the camera would make the camera/pancake lens combo close to pocketable, but this is a very specialized market. Because I would like to see Pentax hang around, I'd rather not see them fool around with such a risky venture.