Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
K7 AF button in the way!

The AF button is the one feature which I have been constantly using ever since someone suggested that instead of the shutter button "half-way-press" fashion.

With the K10D/K20D ... not a problem.


With the K7 .... problem: the camera is slightly smaller horizontally.
I use my left eye so that means that my right thumb pressing on the AF button is almost in the way of my focusing eye!
I tried to switch to my right eye, but that doesn't work. Left eye being my dominant.

Has anyone experienced this or am I an isolated case?

JP

01-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
I'm left eyed too and have no problems with the layout. Like all cameras, you need a period of time to adjust to the ergonomics.
01-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
TheTenaciousOne's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 111
I never really got into using the AF button to focus so instead ive set my K7 to disable the auto-focusing when the shutter is held down half way when i hold down the AF button. And i also shoot with my left eye and have had no problems.
Like the poster before me you might just have to get used to the layout and it'll all become more natural
01-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote
I never really got into using the AF button to focus so instead ive set my K7 to disable the auto-focusing when the shutter is held down half way when i hold down the AF button. And i also shoot with my left eye and have had no problems.
Like the poster before me you might just have to get used to the layout and it'll all become more natural
Well, that is what I having problems with: the AF being too close to my nose/thumb (no, they're not that big :ugh.
I guess it is a matter of getting used to that but I have already shot over 760 images and still not used to it.
I'll call the plastic surgeon and ask for refitting of my facial features so that the nose and thumb are no longer in the way.

JP

01-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 148
You can also contact the eye surgeon and ask him to exchange you're left with you're right eye and you're right with you're left eye
01-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,344
I agree it's in the wrong place, but for a different reason. It should fall naturally to the thumb position, it doesn't. I always use it to focus, and there are many here who do, it's an awkward position currently and needs to be moved up the body so it's only a small shift of the thumb to find it.
01-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I agree it's in the wrong place, but for a different reason. It should fall naturally to the thumb position, it doesn't. I always use it to focus, and there are many here who do, it's an awkward position currently and needs to be moved up the body so it's only a small shift of the thumb to find it.
Ahhh .... someone here agrees with me! Glad to see that I am not the only one.
Thanks for reporting this, Arpe, even if it is for a different reason, although very close to what I mean.

JP
01-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 66
I've always used the half press to focus, so it's no problem for me... however, I much prefer the positioning of the green button on the K10 body, as I use M mode - the new position is a little trickier to reach as a left-eye shooter (rubbing your face with the thumb).

01-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianN Quote
I've always used the half press to focus, so it's no problem for me... however, I much prefer the positioning of the green button on the K10 body, as I use M mode - the new position is a little trickier to reach as a left-eye shooter (rubbing your face with the thumb).
Left-eyed shooters like me and you will find this incommodating indeed. The K10 and K20D are a little wider and the button is not as much in the way as the K7.

JP
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, button, camera, dslr, eye, k7, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5 Fx button StigVidar Pentax K-5 2 11-05-2010 02:54 PM
Suggestion How about an I like this button? dragonfly Site Suggestions and Help 1 01-09-2010 01:55 PM
AF button GSk Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 09-26-2009 03:42 AM
When to use the AE-L button? atyab Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 01-01-2009 03:27 PM
Do you use the AF button? PentaxPoke Pentax DSLR Discussion 36 01-28-2008 08:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top