Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 AF button in the way!

The AF button is the one feature which I have been constantly using ever since someone suggested that instead of the shutter button "half-way-press" fashion.

With the K10D/K20D ... not a problem.

With the K7 .... problem: the camera is slightly smaller horizontally.
I use my left eye so that means that my right thumb pressing on the AF button is almost in the way of my focusing eye!
I tried to switch to my right eye, but that doesn't work. Left eye being my dominant.

Has anyone experienced this or am I an isolated case?

JP

01-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm left eyed too and have no problems with the layout. Like all cameras, you need a period of time to adjust to the ergonomics.
01-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #3

I never really got into using the AF button to focus so instead ive set my K7 to disable the auto-focusing when the shutter is held down half way when i hold down the AF button. And i also shoot with my left eye and have had no problems.
Like the poster before me you might just have to get used to the layout and it'll all become more natural
01-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote
I never really got into using the AF button to focus so instead ive set my K7 to disable the auto-focusing when the shutter is held down half way when i hold down the AF button. And i also shoot with my left eye and have had no problems.
Like the poster before me you might just have to get used to the layout and it'll all become more natural
Well, that is what I having problems with: the AF being too close to my nose/thumb (no, they're not that big :ugh.
I guess it is a matter of getting used to that but I have already shot over 760 images and still not used to it.
I'll call the plastic surgeon and ask for refitting of my facial features so that the nose and thumb are no longer in the way.

JP

01-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can also contact the eye surgeon and ask him to exchange you're left with you're right eye and you're right with you're left eye
01-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I agree it's in the wrong place, but for a different reason. It should fall naturally to the thumb position, it doesn't. I always use it to focus, and there are many here who do, it's an awkward position currently and needs to be moved up the body so it's only a small shift of the thumb to find it.
01-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I agree it's in the wrong place, but for a different reason. It should fall naturally to the thumb position, it doesn't. I always use it to focus, and there are many here who do, it's an awkward position currently and needs to be moved up the body so it's only a small shift of the thumb to find it.
Ahhh .... someone here agrees with me! Glad to see that I am not the only one.
Thanks for reporting this, Arpe, even if it is for a different reason, although very close to what I mean.

JP

01-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Forum Member

I've always used the half press to focus, so it's no problem for me... however, I much prefer the positioning of the green button on the K10 body, as I use M mode - the new position is a little trickier to reach as a left-eye shooter (rubbing your face with the thumb).
01-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianN Quote
I've always used the half press to focus, so it's no problem for me... however, I much prefer the positioning of the green button on the K10 body, as I use M mode - the new position is a little trickier to reach as a left-eye shooter (rubbing your face with the thumb).
Left-eyed shooters like me and you will find this incommodating indeed. The K10 and K20D are a little wider and the button is not as much in the way as the K7.

JP