Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

System comparison for weight, UWA and WR

I made some comparisons for different system options coming from what I personally look for:
a. Weather resistant with at least one lens combination to be useful for outdoors
b. Lightweight to be useful for hiking
c. An UWA lens for landscapes (I was hoping for 16mm@1.5crop/24mm@FF or wider)
d. General-purpose lens as a second priority (either a fast prime or general purpose zoom)

The kit combos/cameras/lenses chosen were the ones that I found the most interesting from each system, that's why they form a fairly diverse set.

There might be some errors and sometimes I just took the B&H/Amazon price instead of looking for the best one.

Perhaps someone else would find it interesting so I am posting it here (not sure if there is a more appropriate forum). The most promising options are bolded, although my only conclusion so far is that I should probably wait some more to see if a WR K200D successor is coming out.

Last edited by juu; 01-08-2010 at 01:05 PM.
01-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't quite understand the table. What does "overpriced" mean, how do you derive that?

Ben
01-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
juu
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's an indicator of how much more expensive the combination is in the UK as compared to the US. It doesn't adjust for VAT or customs tax, just a pure conversion as per the exchange rate.
01-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The Canon 17-40 does not have complete weather sealing without filter (same as old 16-35mm)

I see that you have K-7 w/18-55mm WR & Sigma 10-20mm as WR=Yes
...and then you have K-7 w/18-55mm WR & 15mm Ltd as WR=No

To my knowledge the Sigma is not weather-resistant.

01-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
juu
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shashinki, you are right on both.

I agree about the need for a filter to weather seal the Canon 17-40, but I didn't add filter prices in the list, I'd probably buy them anyway no matter what I'd buy and I assumed the prices would be similar for all systems.

The K-7 w/ 18-55 WR + 15 Ltd should have been a WR=yes (as I only require one lens+camera combination to be WR), I corrected it in my spreadsheet and will repost a fixed version later, perhaps with other changes.