Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much might a repair cost before you decide it's not worth it.

Current (local) prices (for new cameras):
Kx ZAR8000 with kitlens
K20D ZAR12000 (without kitlens, ZAR13000 with kitlens)
K7 ZAR18000 (with kitlens); absolutely outside my price range.

I'm waiting for a quote on the repair of a (one year old, about 1000 shots) K10D with focusing problems. A technician said that it can take between 1 and 5 hours depending on the exact nature of the repair and therefore I'm expecting a cost of ZAR1000 to ZAR1500. It might be lighter but it can also be heavier.

I'm trying to figure out where the point is that repairing is no longer economical and I will buy a new Pentax camera. With the given prices I think it will be somewhere between ZAR2000 and ZAR3000 as that will already be a significant payment towards the Kx or the K20D.

Where would you draw the line (as a percentage of the costs of the new camera that you intend to buy)?

01-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

My K10 cost $325 for replacement shutter mirror box and front mount from pentax canada

I decided it was worth it. came back as good as new
01-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

What, are they really selling cameras with kittens?

Oh, never mind. I think my font is set too small.
01-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just an update; I got an SMS with the quote.

QuoteQuote:
Need to dismantle camera for a complete service and focus adjustments, recalibrate, clean, check and test.
Labour R950, consumables R40 + VAT = R1128.60 total
Needless to say that I have accepted the quote; will keep you posted on the result.

02-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK. Camera is repaired. I took some test shots in the shop with the FA31.The ones that I concentrated on were absolutely focused.

Paid, took it home and the issue started again Image in viewfinder is sharp but picture is not.

Next I bought a refurbished K100D and the shots with it and any of the lenses that I have are far better than with the K10D. I have read somewhere about a pin supporting the mirror that is a weak point in a K10D causing focusing issues.

I have a 3 month warranty on the repair so it will go back. But if it's indeed that pin, it might imply additional costs

Keep you posted.
02-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote

I have a 3 month warranty on the repair so it will go back. But if it's indeed that pin, it might imply additional costs

Keep you posted.
If anything, you might have to pay for the costs of parts. It would be shitty if they charged you again for labor since what they did the first time did not fix the issue. Let us know how it goes.
02-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, a quick update

Got an SMS that camera was within spec and ready for collection. When collecting, I showed them some photos on my memory card and they decided to keep it a bit longer and let somebody higher up have a look at it.
Visited them yesterday and the workshop manager confirmed that the K10D/FA31 combo indeed had a focus issue and that they will calibrate. Why the first technician did not pick the problem up is no quite clear.

Hopefully it will be done by tomorrow.
02-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Last update (hopefully)

The camera is now 'calibarated' against the lens and the results are much better.

Now I must learn to use the FA31LTD. We finally got brilliant weather 2 days ago and I started shooting (wide open although that was not necessary). Came home to find out that there is plenty of purple fringing . Same conditions are not there at the moment to play further.

WimS