Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #1

Pentax ist-DS upgrade advice

Hi,

I currently have a Pentax 6mp ist-DS that I have been extremely happy with. However, I am looking to upgrade to a higher MP, better sensor/ISO performing, faster Pentax DSLR. It has been so many years since I looked at DSLRs, I am looking for some upgrade path advice as to which current model is the most direct upgrade path from the ist-DS. I love the mixture of auto-modes with the manual stuff when I want/need it.

In my research to this point, it looks like the K-x is the logical upgrade... but then I see the K200D and even the K-7 (which may simply be too much camera). It appears, from my research, that neither the K-x or the K200 use a Pentaprism viewfinder like the ist-DS... does this really matter?

Can anyone please give me some logical upgrade suggestions? I don't want to get a new camera that is too much for me. I am an amateur photographer who takes mostly landscape/nature/macro and photos of my little kids. The video features of the K-x/K-7 are nice bonuses, but by no means necessary.

Thanks in advance.

01-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

For some the pentaprism matters a lot, others not so much.
It does give a significant difference to what you see through the viewfinder.
In this regard, I'd include the K20D in the mix of options, of course with the K-7 (for more pro features) and K-x (for high ISO performance) on the top of the list.
You will appreciate the pro body feel and feature lines of the K20D/K-7 but should feel right at home with the K-x coming from the *ist DS.

What you'll lose of course is TTL metering with any camera you choose.
Enjoy shopping around...
01-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I went from DS to K200D, and I use manual focus a lot (with old MF primes). The viewfinder difference was small but noticeable. I bought an O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier (under $40) and the different largely disappeared with my primes, although on the rare occasions when I mount one of my slower zooms, I could probably notice a difference in brightness in favor of the DS (which I no longer have, so I can't really compare any more). But my slow zooms are AF, so it doesn't really matter. If you don't use MF much, there would be no reason to care about viewfinder differences in the first place.

I'd probably be thinking K20D or K-x if I were you, unless you find the K20D is too large (as I felt it was for me).