Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #1

SD Card Problem

Hi all,
I have two 8G Sandisk Extreme,
one 30MB/s class10 and the other one 20MB/s class6.

I have photoshoot and I shot with my K7 and what happened is that whenever it almost reaches less than 3 or 4 shots (On the below of LCD screen it always show you how many you may shoot), I will transfer all the files into my computer and then erase everything from the SDcard, then slot back to the K7, the LCD still show the exact 3 or 4 shot left?! Why's that? Before I updated the firmware there's no such issue.

Has anybody encounter this problem and does anybody have a solution please?

01-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Did you reformat the cards after you put them back into the camera? If you reformat you can be certain the camera will clear the FAT and recognize the cards are empty.
01-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for replying,
does this mean I have to format the card everytime I transfer my photos??
I never realised I have this issue earlier. Normally I use my mac Aperture to transfer my photos then message pop up and ask whether delete images then eject card, which I normally click YES.

But most of the time, I just jack in the card, copy images to desktop and delete direct from the folder then eject and slot back to my camera.
01-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, you don't have to reformat the card after every transfer. However, periodically reformatting the card is a very good idea. How often? Depends on how often you shoot. It's also good to let the camera do the card cleaning, that makes sure the card and the camera are working fine. If you let the computer do things other than transfer files strange things may occur YMMV.

01-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
kyc
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dogbear1980 Quote
Thanks for replying,
does this mean I have to format the card everytime I transfer my photos??
I never realised I have this issue earlier. Normally I use my mac Aperture to transfer my photos then message pop up and ask whether delete images then eject card, which I normally click YES.

But most of the time, I just jack in the card, copy images to desktop and delete direct from the folder then eject and slot back to my camera.
Ah, you're a Mac user, just like me so I think I may have the answer. When you say "delete direct from the folder" did you just drag them to the trash without emptying? If so, this would explain it since the Mac OS will create a .Trash folder on the SD card until you empty the trash. Once you eject, you won't see the trash on your desktop since the relevant trash folder is on the card, but that doesn't mean that "trash" is empty.

Hope this helps.

--KYC
01-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi KYC!
You solved me problem! That's it!
Thank you so much for your help.
Everything's back to normal.

Rs,
Quinlan