Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x BLOWS the 450D AWAY at 100iso INCREDIBLE Comparisin

I was at odds, I have always loved the Elan 7N because for a film SLR it really can't be beat... I've always wanted one for the last 5 yrs. Now that I have some money I was going to get it's bigger brother the 450D for 450$ on KEH, instead of the K-x which I just KNEW couldn't compare to the Canon's AF speed or IQ...

Well I was HORRIBLY wrong...

This is at 100iso look at the middle pattern and you can tell the K-x is INCREDIBLE compared to the 450D... I was leaning towards the 450D for IQ and AF speed and the K-x for prices on the lens and IQ for the older k-mount lenses. But I am going to rest assured now with my decision to get a Pentax, I just had to show this to you guys!

BTW, this is about 10% crop of the original image, and it looks like it's the whole frame for the K-x, that is incredible to me... I don't know about you guys...

01-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First time I'm hearing that the K-x has ISO 100...
01-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

iso100? of course kx has it

do the iso range expansion and you'll get iso 100 and iso 12800
01-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Canon compromises some detail for noise control while Pentax does the opposite. Pentax did it right by doing that because you can always tone down noise in PP but you can never recover original detail.

I got used to a lot of chroma (color noise) in JPG with my K100 and K200 in even low ISO. How amazed was I when doing lens tests with my K20 did no noise show up at all in my ISO 200 tests. I have my settings for noise reduction on "weakest" on all my cameras.

01-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be convinced you're not just seeing a slight focus difference on those comparisons. I think far too much is read into them overall.
01-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I thought the same thing at first Marc, but you have to consider the test was done on a tripod with AF locked in to the cameras correct guess, I assume even if the focus was a bit softer on the K-x it will still come out with much better contrast and what not.
01-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Saw, go back and look at the "proportional scale" on the same iso 100 images you posted. The Canon 450D is much better. The screen capture from below doesn't even do it justice (since it is a snagit capture). You only looked at one part of the image. The 450D is on the right, k-x on the left. Now who blows who away?

Also, there is still the big difference in AF speed you mentioned.

Attached Images

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-09-2010 at 09:27 PM.
01-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well that was quick
01-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Also, there is still the big difference in AF speed you mentioned.
Doesn't Canon skimp on AF accuracy to achieve their much touted AF speed?

Anyway, both these images only prove one thing: you can't trust the comparometer.
01-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianN Quote
Doesn't Canon skimp on AF accuracy to achieve their much touted AF speed?
No. Urban Legend. The only place I have ever heard or read that is on a Pentax forum trying to justfy slow AF.
Check this out:
http://canonfieldreviews.com/7d-cold-winter/
and this:
http://canonfieldreviews.com/canon-7d-3-autofocus/

Then tell me what you think.

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianN Quote
Anyway, both these images only prove one thing: you can't trust the comparometer.
They are in fact the same image.
01-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BookSaw Quote
I thought the same thing at first Marc, but you have to consider the test was done on a tripod with AF locked in to the cameras correct guess, I assume even if the focus was a bit softer on the K-x it will still come out with much better contrast and what not.
I think the crop of the proportional scale pretty much settles the case. I wouldn't assume it's an issue of "correct" focus or not. Whatever specific part of the scene the camera focused on, I'm sure it was within the zone of acceptable focus. But depending on exactly how the AF system worked, different amounts of that zone might extend in front or versus behind the actual focus target. Yes, in theory thatsan optical property of the lens / focal length, but really, it's also dependent on how the AF system places the target within the zone.
01-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

No. Urban Legend. The only place I have ever heard or read that is on a Pentax forum trying to justfy slow AF.
Check this out:
7D #2 In the Cold of Winter
and this:
Canon 7D #3 Autofocus
It proves the 7D is very good at tracking, nothing else. I remember some pro ditching Canon for Nikon last year due to AF problems. The Canon 7D has an all new AF, so older Canon might have had some problems under some conditions.
01-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
It proves the 7D is very good at tracking, nothing else.
Ummm, didn't you see all the pictures in focus? Isn't the definition of tracking in this context, focus? I think it proves yet again that the myth of Canon sacrificing speed for focus accuracy, is just a myth.
01-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Ummm, didn't you see all the pictures in focus? Isn't the definition of tracking in this context, focus? I think it proves yet again that the myth of Canon sacrificing speed for focus accuracy, is just a myth.
The problem with your examples is that they're at f/5 and smaller apertures which makes them completely irrelevant.

I constantly read Canonite comments blaming the first fast lenses they own for mis-focus--which is idiotic.
01-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Looks like the OP had a change of heart? The image is gone, and no reply.