Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I only delete on lthe spot, once they are on the computer they are processed or post processed for the first time, and filed as per shoot. I then later go back and do a very long look and start working the ones I think are worth keeping. It may take me a mounth to really decide to keep a photo and file it in the gallery, and the others are then filed in my externial hard drive.

Good shooting.
Cheers: David

11-28-2006, 09:26 AM   #17

I may delete the obviously bad ones on the spot. Usually I will wait until they are on my computer so I can review them in more detail. Even then, I hate to delete anything. I am afraid that I will delete something and then later on wished I hadn't. So far, drive space is cheap.
11-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm pretty much the same as jdmccol. I don't delete on the camera unless I can tell they are totally worthless. I wait until I download them, and then I still don't really want to delete them, so the majority stay on the hard drive. Hopefully someday I can go back and see how much I've improved!
12-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
Depends.

I'll go weeks without taking a shot as other interest occupy my time.

Then we'll take a trip, and the number of shots can go well over 1000 in a week's time. Between both of us, we shot over 2500 images on the last trip. However, a large amount of these were to be used in panos and composites.

We'll cull them down into what we think are keepers and put a gallery together and/or get a set of prints made for us to share with those that don't have a computer.

But we pretty much keep everything, burning the excess off to DVD when disk space becomes an issue.

Don
could you please tell me what "panos" means?

thanks so very much

randy

12-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

"Panos" = "panoramic mosaics"

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck:
could you please tell me what "panos" means?
"Panos" is just shorthand for "a panoramic mosaic". A resultant image composed of any number of individual image exposures, usually two or more. There are several programs that will construct a panoramic mosaic. Adobe Photoshop has a built-in capability, but the results are not as good as some freeware programs. Personally, I use Autostitch. Sometimes slow, but that might be because I have eight or nine input images.

A panoramic mosaic can be of any dimension, 1 row by x images in a row, or multiple rows. Usually, one wants a rectangular grid (same number of exposures per row). That helps the software quite a bit.

The thing to remember about capturing exposures with a panoramic in mind is that you need to meter at several places in the landscape that you want to create, determine the 'average' exposure, and use that for all frame captures. Best results are in M mode where the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO do not vary between frame to frame. Otherwise, the software will have a difficult time matching frames radiometrically.

Also, I've had the best results with about a 1/3 scene overlap between adjacent image captures. You could even go 1/2 scene overlap, but isn't totally necessary. You do want some overlap so that the software can identify tie points in the various images.

Panoramic mosaics are difficult to create with motion in the frames, such as people who move, or weather phenomena that changes constantly (i.e., fast moving clouds). You gotta be fast sometimes, so JPEG is usually more time efficient and easier to capture all the frames you need before the buffer fills.

Fun to play with, and with Autostitch, it doesn't cost anything.

Hope this helps you understand a bit better.
12-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My recent travel/photo experiences

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, the wife and I went back east to visit her daughter's family for about six days. The primary purpose of the trip was to visit and spend time with our two grandkids. So, I concentrated on taking images of them. For each day, which involved time at home as well as at the parks, I shot between 150 and 180 shots per day (give or take). All in RAW, and processed after I got home.

As far as deletions, I probably only deleted about two or three per day, on the camera after a quick review. This was due to obvious bad focus or composition, and to make room on the card when it started filling up and I didn't want to change the card yet.

With Shake Reduction, my keeper ratio is a whole lot higher than my experience with non-Shake Reduction Pentax dSLR bodies.

I am now in the process of choosing the twelve best ones for incorporation into a photo calendar that I can present to them for use all next year.
12-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
"Panos" is just shorthand for "a panoramic mosaic". A resultant image composed of any number of individual image exposures, usually two or more. There are several programs that will construct a panoramic mosaic. Adobe Photoshop has a built-in capability, but the results are not as good as some freeware programs. Personally, I use Autostitch. Sometimes slow, but that might be because I have eight or nine input images.

A panoramic mosaic can be of any dimension, 1 row by x images in a row, or multiple rows. Usually, one wants a rectangular grid (same number of exposures per row). That helps the software quite a bit.

The thing to remember about capturing exposures with a panoramic in mind is that you need to meter at several places in the landscape that you want to create, determine the 'average' exposure, and use that for all frame captures. Best results are in M mode where the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO do not vary between frame to frame. Otherwise, the software will have a difficult time matching frames radiometrically.

Also, I've had the best results with about a 1/3 scene overlap between adjacent image captures. You could even go 1/2 scene overlap, but isn't totally necessary. You do want some overlap so that the software can identify tie points in the various images.

Panoramic mosaics are difficult to create with motion in the frames, such as people who move, or weather phenomena that changes constantly (i.e., fast moving clouds). You gotta be fast sometimes, so JPEG is usually more time efficient and easier to capture all the frames you need before the buffer fills.

Fun to play with, and with Autostitch, it doesn't cost anything.

Hope this helps you understand a bit better.
Thank you for the great explaination. I think I will give this a try when our spring arrives..... Not to big into going through knee deep snow for landscapes, etc.
12-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #23
Inactive Account

My photo events come in spurts, we go to visit a horse friend, I take a hike, see a sunset. The shooting with my P&S has conditioned me to take more than two shots of something I focus upon as the viewfinder is nada and the little LCD on the back can fool me. I will shoot 300-400 shots on a day hike. Home to download them all to the computer and ACDSee through them tossing the obvious junk such as OOF or motion blur. Then I flag them, from a distance ~ 2" pictures viewed for composition. Then I take the flagged ones into an editor and some of those I reject, others I adjust minor, then store them in a seperate folder under same file date. I don't throw anything away that is not total garbage. Reasoning: I go back and look at them and not only do I get memories and flavor of the experience but sometimes I find a gem in my older stuff, something that looks better/different/more artistic due to a change in my mental filters. Classic example I found one from a hike a year ago last fall and played with it a bunch. Sent a snapshot of it to a friend and he was insistant that his wife had to have it. I printed it for him 11X14 and they hung it proudly in her sewing room. My manipulations and techniques matched the colors and feel of her sewing room. Such a deal.

12-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Following the advice I got in a photography course I took about a million years ago, I edit with a vengeance. I won't keep any more than 10 out of a 100.

Jerry
12-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

>>Sailor

Your numbers seem most reasonable. 95 minutes at the zoo (near freezing temp, strong gusty wind) 117 shots, keeping 6-8. Shooting college basketball game; shot 147 in first half, kept and sold 18--a GREAT day. Vacation trip, 3 days in major cave national park; shot 1700, kept about 100 for a slide show for family and colleagues.