Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #1

How many photos do you take/keep?

This is for those of you who take pictures on vacation: how many photos do you usually take in one place, or in one day, and how many on average do you usually delete?

11-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't delete after I get pics on the computer, but sometimes on the spot I might delete a picture or two (maybe 1 in 10)...

I would take (and keep) on holiday about 10-50 in a day.. It depends on my mood and where I am..
11-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I delete all bad pics on the spot, but once the files make it on my PC, they stay there. About 20% of those then show up in my online galleries at Mosphotos.com.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm not in the league of many here. Last holiday, about 10 days, I tokk about 200 photos, kept about 80.

11-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
When we went to Mexico last year, I took about 50 shots a day, average. (7 days).

Kept them all - every one is a memory.

Were they all "worthy"? To me they are, but most were not anything I'd print and frame.

Over the last few years, my webshots account has collected about 2500 images - some of which I've had published in the magazine articles I write. When I cover an event, I usually snap about 200 pics in a day, and keep about 150 or so - of that, maybe 6 - 12 are good enough to use outright in an article, or need slight cropping.
11-23-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

chimping !!!!!! guilty as charged. Not sure how many but I do delete on the spot and after loading to the pc. Sometimes they look okay on the camera but after uploading you see them on a full screen they go.

check out this video
SportsShooter.com - Chimping EXPOSED! (Part 1)
11-23-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Vacations

The self-employed don't get many long vacations, but...

Six years ago, shooting film, one week vacation-four days on site, shot 600 frames. Mostly slides but about 100 prints as well. About 4 dozen were reprinted/enlarged to 8 by 10, 11 by 14, or 13 by 19 and framed.

This year (well 16 months), two trips: a 3 day weekend for 1200 frames, 1700 on the second with 4.5 days on site. Lot's of bracketed sets, call it 400/550 actual. About 65 printed from the first trip, 90 or so from the second processed and scheduled for enlargements and printing with about 400 images left to be sorted.
11-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #8
Rak

Original Poster
Wow, so it's pretty diverse -- some like to take a few, and some like to take many. I fall into the quantity camp -- I take massive amounts of pictures, and end up deleting maybe 1/2 of them on the spot. Once they're on my computer, I delete more, and 90-95% end up on my website. With my K110D, however, I'll go for quality so I can do less deleting/editing.

11-24-2006, 03:33 AM   #9

Ahem, I'm yet to take a plunge into DSLRs. Currently, I work with films and slides. I keep not more than 1-3 from a roll.

I reject over 50% of the frames after the first review (6x4 prints). After picking up a few keepers, I subject them to a series of self critique. Later, I involve a couple of photographer friends and get their views.
11-24-2006, 07:37 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I am Of the school Shoot First, Delete later. The Quanity Of photos i take will vary on the reason/Subject I am Shooting. However I usually delete about 20-30%. I keep the rest. Are they all Pictures that i Would Frame and post ? NO!, But They all have meaning To Me.
11-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Black Knight Quote
I am Of the school Shoot First, Delete later. The Quanity Of photos i take will vary on the reason/Subject I am Shooting. However I usually delete about 20-30%. I keep the rest. Are they all Pictures that i Would Frame and post ? NO!, But They all have meaning To Me.

I'm with Black Knight on this. Hardly ever delete in camera. Only time I do is if there was a major error, or if I'm critically short of memory space. Probably delete around 20% at raw conversion, then the rest go into the database. Over time, they'll be thinned down further, once I've decided the keepers.
11-25-2006, 04:21 AM   #12

Quite varied.

Sometimes I only take a few a day, 15-30, sometimes loads, like 200+. All depends on the cirumstances. Usually weekends only. Certainly now, too dark in the mornings and too dark when I get home.

Don't delete in camera (4GB card), but on PC. Sometimes I look at pictures taken some time ago, select the 'best' (this attribute is used without implying that they are in any way good) and delete the dross (should be at least 99%, but I fool myself).

Greatest inhibitor for taking more pictures is the 'Come on. Haven't you taken enough?' phrase.

Cheers
Mike
11-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Are you kidding?? I don't throw anything away! Just ask my wife.

Seriously, I probably shoot close to 100 shots at an "event" and keep all of them. Out of that 100, probably 10-20 are processed further and kept on my Flickr site. I keep all the originals, though. I don't really know why. I guess because hard drives are so cheap, I figure why not keep them?
11-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Depends.

I'll go weeks without taking a shot as other interest occupy my time.

Then we'll take a trip, and the number of shots can go well over 1000 in a week's time. Between both of us, we shot over 2500 images on the last trip. However, a large amount of these were to be used in panos and composites.

We'll cull them down into what we think are keepers and put a gallery together and/or get a set of prints made for us to share with those that don't have a computer.

But we pretty much keep everything, burning the excess off to DVD when disk space becomes an issue.

Don
11-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I find that waiting for a couple of months before deleting say, from a trip away, is a good idea. Then you can look back and keep the ones that have some meaning, even though they may not be that good.