Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K200D Accolations, Just Gotta Say It

This is just a plain great camera and value! I'm new to DSLR and Pentax and bought my first DSLR, a 200D re-furb, a few months ago. The solid feel, ergonomics, and handlling all make it a dream to use. I even bought a second body for a song at Overstock auctions. It's supposedly a re-furb but I swear it looks and is packaged as new. I just like having two of the same bodies to become familiar with and operate from.

I know it's not the highest MP count, or most frames per second, etc., but for my shooting this is a great camera. Tactile characteristics are important to me, and get me to shoot more, and a higher MP camera that doesn't feel right won't get me shootin', and what good is that?

I have a modest three lens kit I can now build on with the value from this camera.

I'm no expert or pro like many on the forum, although I have worked in a large camera store and had Nikon and Cannon film systems, and I think the K200D simply rocks and plan to use it (them) for many captures and on many trips.

There, I said it. I'm sure others out there are enjoying their 200Ds too.

01-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ditto

Call me a fanboy if you like. Got my K200D refurb in October. (Given the loyalty of other members here for the K20D, I've had a few mild pangs of regret that I didn't keep the as-new K20D refurb that I ordered at the same time. Really though, too bulky for me.)

...yet the K200D is a huge upgrade from my unloved, and now sold, Can*n 350D. The first week the Pentax arrived I did an available-light shoot for a major event with my one lens, a Pentax 18-250. The results were good enough to publish in a photobook for the honoree. The Can*n was along that day too, for insurance. Crappy results compared to the K200D. Bye bye Can*n.

Since then of course, LBA has set in, in a big way. Unfortunately I work more than most which cuts into photography, family and goofing off time. Looking forward to shooting a lot with my K200D.
01-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
Forum Member

Owned a K200D too and has never made any plan to replace the body as primary use, unless K300D is coming or K20D has tremendous price drop

What I like the K200D is because of its camera build quality. It's user friendly and the solid feel are the main point that close the sale for me. While there are some disadvantage with K200D (AF hunting in low lightning and high ISO problem), I still love it.
01-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I find using a single auto focus point and a fast lenses helps eliminate most if not all my low light "hunting" issues and it's Pentax's last body to use CCD which i find produces a better "punchier" image right out of the camera <that alone can generate a huge discussion"

01-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You'll see plenty of posts here over the years showing the love for the K200D. Frankly, you'll hardly see a negative post from a K200D owner. I think it is that good of a camera, especially at the going rate for these refurbs. I simply cannot justify spending $500 on a K-x for better AF and high ISO performance, or spending $1,000 on a K-7 for more bells and whistles. If and when the K-7 comes down drastically in price, I'll definitely consider getting one to replace my K200D, but until then, I just love using my K200D. It just feels right, and the pictures it produces are outstanding.
01-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Also, the WR and battery supply type were big attractions for me for travel and convenience. The battery life is pretty impressive.

I hope the next version builds directly on the K200D attributes.

(A little off topic but where can I find those K200D graphics some of you have in your signatures? I've been looking around and can't seem to find them.)
01-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I made my own using one of those free banner makers i found googling...sorry i lost all my book marks tweaking my PC
01-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
(A little off topic but where can I find those K200D graphics some of you have in your signatures? I've been looking around and can't seem to find them.)
Right click on the one that you like in the forums, copy it to your desktop and then where you add your signature, add the graphic.

I love my K200D. I've been making money off of it and have lots of fun. I'm outdoors a lot, and the WR on this camera was critical. I've had it for over a year now and I haven't regretted buying it once.

01-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Clicker and Lurchlarson-

Thanks for the signature tips.
01-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Let's try this again...
01-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sheesh, I'm being a real luddite here...
01-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

there was a thread somewhere with all kinds of "proud owner" graphics people had made themselves in photoshop/uploaded so that others could use.. I can't seem to remember what the original title was so I can't find it through the search function. I suppose you could just ask the person if you see a good one if you could use it in your sig.

edit: wow I took a little too long in between reading and posting - others have beaten me to it.
01-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #13
Forum Member

I also have two K200d bodies: one purchased new, and a refurb. Super comfy & solid grip, WR, AA batteries - a real pleasure to use.
01-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #14

I got the K200D in april last year - my first (d)slr and I've become obsessed with using it! I'm starting to feel LBA kicking in and I got a KatzEye focusing screen making my M 50/1.7 an absolute dream to use. I also really like the fact that it uses AA batteries and those "new" NiMH (eneloop etc) are amazing - if I use old lenses in M mode I usually get almost 1000 shots!