Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #1

Pentax K-x and cold weather enviroment, advise needed

Hello everyone,

I am just a newbie to DSLR world. My friend suggested me to pick the Pentax K-x for the 1st start. After 5 days researching around internet and read the dpreivew about the K-x, I am really interested in buying the K-x. However, I still concern only one thing before place my order ....

I am living in Minnesota where the average temp. in winter is <10F, sometime it downs to -30F. Therefore, I am afraid of the cold weather would affect the performance of K-x because it lacks of the cold resistant.

Can anyone living in the cold country/state tell me your own exp. about using the K-x in cold weather? It would be greatly appreciated

01-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No camera will work for very long in the kind of temps we have had for the last 2 weeks! That said, I've taken it out for a few quick walks with no problems. As long as you take reasonable steps to keep the camera warm, it will function fine in cold weather. The K7 is actually rated to work in cold climates, but that is a whole other ball game! The Kx is a great deal, and you wont have any problem using it outdoors, even up here in MN.

Also, Welcome!
01-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep a couple sets of spare batteries in you inner coat pocket and switch out the cold one if they stop working. They usually recover when warmed up.
QuoteOriginally posted by AirSupply Quote
Hello everyone,

I am just a newbie to DSLR world. My friend suggested me to pick the Pentax K-x for the 1st start. After 5 days researching around internet and read the dpreivew about the K-x, I am really interested in buying the K-x. However, I still concern only one thing before place my order ....

I am living in Minnesota where the average temp. in winter is <10F, sometime it downs to -30F. Therefore, I am afraid of the cold weather would affect the performance of K-x because it lacks of the cold resistant.

Can anyone living in the cold country/state tell me your own exp. about using the K-x in cold weather? It would be greatly appreciated
01-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Always keep an extra battery inside your coat because that's what will fail first. Have a clean terry cloth for wiping moisture off the body if snow gets on it (lenses and body)
When transiting from inside to outside or vice-versa use another dry cloth to wrap the camera to acclimatize it before shooting once taken out of the bag or just lay the cloth over the opening of your camera bag before closing and moving in and out of the area.

Weather sealed systems (camera and lenses) don't need such care.

01-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #5

I was out new years eve with my white K-x for about an hour with one set of batteries in use only, it was standing on a tripod or held in my hands the whole time, and I recorded video and took pictures constantly at about -17 celcius, so I don't think there will be much more problems at only -10 more.

Like those above here said, keep extra batteries in your coat and warm those that die, they will recover and be useful a bit later on so you can switch back and forth when those in the camera won't work anymore
01-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #6

Lithium batteries are the best for cold conditions, they perform in extreme temperatures from -40F to 140F. Get a set of 4AA energizer lithium.
01-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foivosloxias Quote
Lithium batteries are the best for cold conditions, they perform in extreme temperatures from -40F to 140F. Get a set of 4AA energizer lithium.
This is correct - it is very dependent on the batteries used.

Lithium AA would be the right batteries to use -
but most of us do not shoot outside in those temperatures -
it might be that cold outside - but most of us go from our centrally heated house to our heated cars to whatever venues - which I sincerely hope is heated in this kind of weather....

So it is more dependent on the temperature where you're shooting and how the camera is stored (what it is outside is kind of irrelevant....)

However for the coldest conditions lithiums are the batteries - if rechargeables are used then eneloops not only are the overwhelming recommendation - they also seem to hold up better in the cold (but obviously not as well as lithiums)
01-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #8

At Tweakers.net (a Dutch amateur tech forum) a guy told a story that he was mountain climbing with some friends and shooting pictures. Temperature was something between -10C and -20C.
He was shooting with his Kx, his friends with there Nikons and Canons.
After a few minutes the cold won from Nikon and Canon and made there cams useless, while he was going on and on shooting pics.

Bottom line, Kx can handle freezing temperatures very well

01-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i had my kx out in pretty cold conditions this week.,10 degrees f. i left it hanging in a tree (out of the bag) while i was skiing and would periodically pick it up and take a shot or two while passing. 2 hours later it was working fine.

don't use me as a measuring stick though. i beat the hell out of gear. its worth mentioning that i purchased the b&h 3 year protection plan.
01-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your respsonses. They are extremely helpful and valuable. I greatly appreciate.

I am going to purchase the K-x (K-7 if I can handle the cost) within this week.
01-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
At Tweakers.net (a Dutch amateur tech forum) a guy told a story that he was mountain climbing with some friends and shooting pictures. Temperature was something between -10C and -20C.
He was shooting with his Kx, his friends with there Nikons and Canons.
After a few minutes the cold won from Nikon and Canon and made there cams useless, while he was going on and on shooting pics.

Bottom line, Kx can handle freezing temperatures very well
Here was a similar story :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/85442-kx-kicks-butt-cold.html

Coming from cold to warmth, one should always use 30 minutes, preferably in a sealed plastic bag and camera case, for the camera to adjust to the temperature difference