Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #61

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
No, I don't. I am fairly convinced it is the firmware update that also included the FineSharpness2 settings, and I need to find out how I can get back to the original firmware. Any ideas?

P.S: I went ahead and ordered the DA15 yesterday, couldn't resist the small packaging
Did you try following the upgrading procedure with the previous version of the firmware?

Manuel

01-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
.................If I did that to you on this K20/k7 banding, I am truly sorry. From my point of view it was never really an issue for me.....................
I noticed it a few days before I even did this test, so no worries there. When I have some time, I will sort it out...I know it wasn't this bad before, so I need to just dig deeper.....
01-14-2010, 12:47 AM   #63
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Was your exposure such that the black surface appeared gray (i.e., it was not completely clipped)?
I checked areas that were not clipped (I always keep the highlights on for over/underexposure). But I didn't had an actual black surface in the shot.
01-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...I know it wasn't this bad before, so I need to just dig deeper.....
Don't underestimate the power of knowledge.
I too never noticed banding when we began using our K20's
Then... over time it just sort of appeared.
I was convinced it was something that appeared after the fact.
However... a little sifting through the piles showed that it was there all along.
It's an odd phenomenon to say the least.

I've also discovered magenta tinging in this very same way.
And before you ask, if you don't have any, then you'd best not look into it.
Ignorance is bliss

01-14-2010, 05:29 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Although Gordon B Good wrote a raw converter that removes magenta tinging from high iso photos. I've seen some of the results on DPR and they are impressive.
01-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Yes it is, and somewhat with the iso3200 image as well.....Hey! do you know whether 'dark frame substarctions' work for this ?

I didn't see this banding before, and I need to investigate further on why the banding is suddenly showing up.....
Something interesting I found:

Noise, Dynamic Range and Bit Depth in Digital SLRs

If you jump to "pattern noise," you can see how he removes the fixed vertical pattern noise using a template, but can't remove the random horizontal pattern.
01-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #67

Thanks

Next time you may consider using a target with more color and detail. A gray target does not reflect the real world very well and so it will not show the potential problems that can show up.