Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Focus trap with Pentax AF lens works...

(this was also posted at dpr.... I think it is maybe a good thing to know..)

It turns out that focus trap (AKA Catch in Focus) works with a Pentax AF lens if the circuit between the Data pin and camera is short circuited or broken (at least for the K100D - but I suspect with other Pentax DSLR's as well.)

Short circuiting allows F-number display, auto aperture, and EXIF to work properly, while breaking the circuit with tape does not.

The Data pin is the one farthest from the red dot on the mount.

It would be nice to hear if this also works with other Pentax cameras.

It is ok to short circuit the Data pin because the mount is designed for that circumstance (because A-type & earlier lenses actually short circuit the Data pin when mounted.)

Dave

PS Sticky-backed tin foil over the Data pin on the lens is an easy way to do it.

01-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Here's confirmation that it works with the ist DS as well as the K100D. Now your autofocus lenses can be used to focus trap birds, etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by kikivrany (dpr):
I just tried it with my ist DS, and it works like you described it.

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
(this was also posted at dpr.... I think it is maybe a good thing to know..)

It turns out that focus trap (AKA Catch in Focus) works with a Pentax AF lens if the circuit between the Data pin and camera is short circuited or broken (at least for the K100D - but I suspect with other Pentax DSLR's as well.)

Short circuiting allows F-number display, auto aperture, and EXIF to work properly, while breaking the circuit with tape does not.

The Data pin is the one farthest from the red dot on the mount.

It would be nice to hear if this also works with other Pentax cameras.

It is ok to short circuit the Data pin because the mount is designed for that circumstance (because A-type & earlier lenses actually short circuit the Data pin when mounted.)

Dave

PS Sticky-backed tin foil over the Data pin on the lens is an easy way to do it.