Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

spots on my K10D sensor- next step ?

Well, after 2 + years it seems as if it has finally happened...there appear to be some spots (dust ?) on my sensor.

I've been hoping the SR would take it off...but the pix all seem to have the same two spots in the same two areas.

The instruction book says either get a pro to remove the spots or to use a blower with the brush removed and blow away.

I'll try the blower idea first, before taking it down to the local camera shop.

Any suggestions ?

01-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing extra, if you're asking for advice you wouldn't be confident enough with the DIY cleaning methods, so just stick with the blower.

Consider yourself fortunate for only having a couple of obvious spots on your sensor after >2yrs (!).
I get spots a lot more often, but then I change lenses often.
Rocket blower's been effective thus far on both my K10D and K20D.
01-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nothing extra, if you're asking for advice you wouldn't be confident enough with the DIY cleaning methods, so just stick with the blower.

Consider yourself fortunate for only having a couple of obvious spots on your sensor after >2yrs (!).
I get spots a lot more often, but then I change lenses often.
Rocket blower's been effective thus far on both my K10D and K20D.
Thanks I will try the rocket blower.
01-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, pretty damn lucky it took 2 years to ever get dust on your sensor. I am sure you can find dozens of threads on this board about sensor cleaning....I'd start with a rocket blower and/or a SensorKleer cleaning pen....I use them as needed and so far have never had any problems which require wet cleaning or the need to take it to someone else to do it for me. It's all very simple, just give yourself 3-5 minutes and most likely you will be good to go.

Jason

01-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I mapped mine physically eyeballing it and then wiping that only spot with a lens cloth very lightly followed by the rocket blower 'coz the rocket blower wasn't able to remove it no matter how often and how hard I tried to pump the sucker!
Here's what I wrote about it but in this world where there is now more DSLRs with on-board camera dust mapping feature..it would seem, nobody reacted to my post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/83050-those-without-dust-mapping.html
01-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i ran into the same problem after a few years.. dust! i opted for the swab & solution method. it's less random and air isn't moving particles around inside that might negate my cleaning.
01-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

simply engaging mirror lock up and blowing in the champer works too.
01-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I followed the manual, engaged mirror lockup, used my old manual blower with the brush removed and that seemed to do the job.

01-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #9

Rocket blower works well for me too
01-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I followed the manual, engaged mirror lockup, used my old manual blower with the brush removed and that seemed to do the job.
Glad it worked out for you.
01-14-2010, 05:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Well, after 2 + years it seems as if it has finally happened...there appear to be some spots (dust ?) on my sensor.

I've been hoping the SR would take it off...but the pix all seem to have the same two spots in the same two areas.

The instruction book says either get a pro to remove the spots or to use a blower with the brush removed and blow away.

I'll try the blower idea first, before taking it down to the local camera shop.

Any suggestions ?
I usally had my K10D (the K-7 dust removal system has been very effective so far!) cleaned by the local camera shop for 22.

Then I bought a Giottos Q-Ball rocket blower.... the rubber felt a little sticky after I took it out of the plastic wrapper.
Then blowing at the sensor it blew away the dust, but it also blew a few sticky rubber particles onto the sensor.
My local shop could not remove the rubber particles, and wet swiping they don't do.

So, I go myself a wet swipe kit and that took care of it. Wet sweeping is not too hard to, follow the web instructions.
The Giotto's now does not feel sticky anymore and does not emit anymore particles. I guess over time the production solvent has evaporated.

The morale of the story? If you get yourself a Giottos and it feels sticky - don't use it!

- Bert
01-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I used a rocket blower on my focusing screen and the sensor and all i got out of it was more dust on the screen.

actually, I never noticed any dust on the sensor until I used the blower in an attempt to clean up some very minor dust on my focusing screen.

In any case, I ordered the actual pentax sensor cleaning kit--the "ick" thing with the japanese writing that comes with the gummy stick and the papers for cleaning the gummy stick and it worked easy and well.

totally removed the dust from my sensor on the k100d.

Amazon.com: Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit; O-ICK1 - Pentax 39357: Electronics
01-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #13

I have a brush called the Artic Butterfly. Its been totaly reliable so far and there has been no need to use a chemical cleaning kit. It seems to use static to get those anying blobs off the sensor.
01-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

detailed sensor cleaning instructions: Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

Cleaning the first time may need to be repeated several times to remove all the dust from mirror box, which otherwise flips onto the sensor when the mirror operates. My dSLR required 9 cleanings to get all the dust out during first cleaning, but after that, with care changing lenses -- quick, camera off so sensor static doesn't attract dust -- occasional rocket blower blasts have been sufficient, for the past YEAR.