Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone explained why Kx doesnt have visible focus points grid in viewfinder?

been waiting for a very good explanation.

01-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Because it shared it from the K-m.

Next question?

(K-m does not have visible focus points because it kept the body size down, cost less, used as a price-level differential, and perhaps was deemed less important than some of the other features included, imo thankfully, as I have found only one or 2 minor benefits to visible focus points)
01-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Because it shared it from the K-m.

Next question?

(K-m does not have visible focus points because it kept the body size down, cost less, used as a price-level differential, and perhaps was deemed less important than some of the other features included, imo thankfully, as I have found only one or 2 minor benefits to visible focus points)
I am surprised the focus points would take up so much space. never played with the K-M so thanks for the explanation. Gonna do some reading on this..hmm.
01-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
I am surprised the focus points would take up so much space. never played with the K-M so thanks for the explanation. Gonna do some reading on this..hmm.
Just to add a little more, from K-x review of DPReview.com :
"Pentax' official reason for the omission of this feature is size. The camera's prism would have to be larger with visible AF-points"

01-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
cause you don't need them?
because it saved $5 cost?

spend 5 mins with the camera and notice how you don't miss them at all.
Its obvious to see what is in focus.
Also most people just use center point focus.
01-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sajah Quote
Just to add a little more, from K-x review of DPReview.com :
"Pentax' official reason for the omission of this feature is size. The camera's prism would have to be larger with visible AF-points"
my guess is that they dont want to show which points are better so the emphasis on aim centre as usually for entry level, centre has the best focus point.

well, i am guessing the Kx at LEAST has the rule of thirds Grid view for composition. does it?
01-12-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

It keeps cost down in a very price sensitive market, and it gives feature delineation with the K7.

01-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer not having them vs the way Olympus does theirs. In the Oly there are dark black squares on the focusing screen. They are annoying and in the way.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #26 WINNERS in compact camera forum. Enter #27. Any brand camera. Enter now!
01-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

well, i am guessing the Kx at LEAST has the rule of thirds Grid view for composition. does it?
The focus screen looks just the picture posted above, but of course without the red dots. The brackets are more less consistent with the so-called rule of thirds,, which is actually just kind of rough guide for getting compositions consistent with the "golden ratio".
01-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Another reason might be that they got sick of people thinking the red dots mean focus has been achieved (although I'd go with the cost/size explanation first.)
01-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

i was just about to start a thread with almost the exact same title. are you still able to select autofocus points? i'm so confused...how would autofocus work without visible points? i think it would drive me insane.
01-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #12

I believe the LCD on the back indicates which points were focused on:

01-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
i was just about to start a thread with almost the exact same title. are you still able to select autofocus points? i'm so confused...how would autofocus work without visible points? i think it would drive me insane.
Not sure if you're being facetious or not - I'd have thought you'd been around long enough to have seen an of the zillions of other long threads on this topic. But for the record, yes, you can still select focus points, using the LCD. So for the minority who depend on selecting focus points, it's still possible, just a bit more awkward, and if you're one of the few for whom that would make a difference, then that would be reason to spend more on a higher end camera. For the majority who either use center point only or who let the camera choose for them (and thus feedback on which was chosen doesn't help in the least, as there is no way to make use of that feedback), it's a non-issue.
01-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #14

i'd like to have a way to see what point is selected when I review pictures that were took with Auto5 or Auto 11.
At least in LV, you can see in real time what focus point was chose by the auto focus when you use phase detect.
01-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone explained why Kx doesnt have visible focus points grid in viewfinder?

been waiting for a very good explanation.

It is my understanding that to do that you would need a PentaPrism and the K-x only has PentaMirror due to cost, size and weight issues.
I may be wrong on that, of course.

Rui