Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Flashes on my K-m

Now that I have a dslr and can experiment to my heart's content without breaking the bank on film processing, I'm going to start playing more with DIY studio/lighting. The only flash gear I currently own is 2 old school cheapo flashes, a male-male pc cord, and both adapters for both ends. I had great results using this setup as a handheld light source for concerts and quick portraits. The two flashes are:

-Alfon 540 Thyristor/Bounce
-Sunpak auto 821 dedicated

I know that the K-m does not do TTL metering, but I'm a little confused on what that actually means for me. Are these flashes worth anything to me at all? Are they safe to trigger via my PC cord? If I were to pick up a cheap set of radio triggers, would they do anything for me then?

Thanks!

01-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't need TTL at all in studio environment.

You can either take test shots to see if the light is right or, more efficiently, use a light meter to adjust the lights.

If you're worried about the voltage being too high, use radio triggering (you can get that very cheap online, check the strobist blog, google strobist to find it).

I'm not sure if the K-m has protection against flashes with too high voltage, I think the K20D has at least.
01-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sasquatch Quote
Now that I have a dslr and can experiment to my heart's content without breaking the bank on film processing, I'm going to start playing more with DIY studio/lighting. The only flash gear I currently own is 2 old school cheapo flashes, a male-male pc cord, and both adapters for both ends. I had great results using this setup as a handheld light source for concerts and quick portraits. The two flashes are:

-Alfon 540 Thyristor/Bounce
-Sunpak auto 821 dedicated

I know that the K-m does not do TTL metering, but I'm a little confused on what that actually means for me. Are these flashes worth anything to me at all? Are they safe to trigger via my PC cord? If I were to pick up a cheap set of radio triggers, would they do anything for me then?

Thanks!

TTL metering isn't too important, I don't think. You'll probably want to play with them as off-camera flashes, with the camera set in manual exposure mode. Since it's a digital, it won't be like you're wasting film experimenting that way, and since the K-m won't be able to do the pre-flash wizardry with those that it can do with P-TTL flashes like the AF-360FGZ, it's probably safest. Program mode will get you normal exposure, but with the flashes on top of it, and you'll have some serious brightness that way.

A PC-cord could definitely trigger them, but I'd be hesitant, as i know some flashes can fry DSLR flash circuits over time. A wireless trigger system would be more foolproof and less prone to burn up your precious K-m.

Anyone who knows more than me can feel free to correct me.