Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2007, 02:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Brought a Pentax 10D and immediate problem

I brought a Pentax 10D today, my first SLR camera, after using a regular digital camera for 5 years.

I've switched on the camera and set it to automatic mode as I just want to try it out first of all, but it keeps on flashing on the view fielder "F - -" at me and I can't take a photo.

I've read every page in the manual, spent nearly 2 hours going through the various sections and searching the web, and am getting extremely frustrated.

I am new to this game, but would have thought the manual could have been a tad more user friendly.

Can anyone help please?

06-22-2007, 02:03 AM   #2

Seems to me the camera can't get a reading from the lens as to which aperture is set.

Which lens are you using? The kit lens?
06-22-2007, 02:03 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond btw.
06-22-2007, 02:05 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, I'm using the kit lenses.

It's a Pentax 18-55mm Lens.

This is the product page where I brought it from - Pentax K10D Digital SLR Camera - w/Pentax 18-55mm Lens

06-22-2007, 02:14 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, you're all going to laugh at me.

The lenses wasn't attached correctly. It appeared to be, but obviously wasnt, as I took it off and put it on again and everything worked fine.

Let the fun begin
06-22-2007, 02:17 AM   #6

Hmm that is strange. Can you make a picture at all?

FYI it is normal that the viewfinder/top LCD shows 'F--' if you use a manual lens since the camera can't communicate with the lens. This shouldnt be a problem with any DA lens though.

Anybody else has an idea?

BTW, did you upgrade your firmware yet to the newest? I don't think it solves the problem, but you could try. As far as I know it doesn't blow your warranty but you should read up on that before upgrading since if this camera has a real fault inside that needs to be fixed, you might want to have your warranty still :-)
06-22-2007, 02:19 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesAus Quote
Ok, you're all going to laugh at me.

The lenses wasn't attached correctly. It appeared to be, but obviously wasnt, as I took it off and put it on again and everything worked fine.

Let the fun begin
Haha! Well anyway congratulations on buying a splendid camera. Be sure to come fully prepared for a learning curve if you're a first time dSLR user! But don't be too dissapointed, just be patient and you'll learn.

Be sure to make a lens go 'click' before thinking it is properly attached

06-22-2007, 02:51 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Happened to me too I had put a manual lens on and set the aperture ring off 'A'. Basically I had 'f--' on every setting. It took me a minute to figure out what was going on... in the <menu> for custom settings, near the bottom of the options there's one that's "Using Aperture Ring" - I've now set that to 'permitted' . So now, to quote the explanation "pictures can be taken even when aperture ring is other than A". Camera is happy, I am happy.
06-22-2007, 03:34 AM   #9

Help, my new K10D is swearing at me

So... what did you say to the camera when it would only say F... to you?

Good luck with your new camera, you will love it.

Phil
06-22-2007, 03:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Heh, i think this happens more than most care to admit...i get lazy switching lenses and forget to check the view finder when shooting until im 4 or 5 shots in manual...doh!
06-22-2007, 06:14 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome guys

Haha - yes I was getting pretty angry after looking at it for so long! Perhaps Pentax could provide a nicer error message saying the lense isn't attached properly
06-22-2007, 06:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Heh, i think this happens more than most care to admit...i

You can say that again. Lots of interesting weather on the way home from work last night. Grabbed the camera, prepared to fire.... nothing.... Check settings, should be ok... nothing.... seeing ----- on the LCD? What's that? Panic..... look at rear screen "No Card"

sigh.
06-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
You can say that again. Lots of interesting weather on the way home from work last night. Grabbed the camera, prepared to fire.... nothing.... Check settings, should be ok... nothing.... seeing ----- on the LCD? What's that? Panic..... look at rear screen "No Card"

sigh.
That one takes the cake. "DAMMMMMNN THIS MACHINE!!! DAMMMMMNN YOU PENTAAAX!!! DAA.......huh?....oh..... No Card, my bad."
06-22-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pass the cake this way - I have been using DSLRs for over three years and SLRs in general for more than eleven years and every once in a while I do the ultimate blunder - I get upset because the meter/system won't wake up from sleep mode when I half press the shutter, blood pressure starts to rise while I consider throwing the camera at the subject instead of taking a picture only to realize that I have actually turned the switch off. Yeah, I'll take a piece of that cake.

Back in the film days I shot a whole series of formals before a wedding reception with no film in the camera. Good thing it was my own family and we all had a good laugh while I reshot about 30 minutes worth of images.

These kinds of things are just really easy to do.
06-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
So... what did you say to the camera when it would only say F... to you?

Good luck with your new camera, you will love it.

Phil
I heard "The last comic standing" is in Australia, want to try it?