Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #1

My ideal controls on a Pentax DSLR body

I appreciate the versatility of my K20D's P mode but I wish they could put dials on the top (replace the "mode" one, and put two more dials) for 1) shutter 2) aperture and 3) ISO.

I read about Leica's X1 recently and I thought that dedicated dials for these controls would be a terrific idea and ever since I've been drooling over such a concept on a future Pentax. How likely is that? And why hasn't it been done (or has it)? Would they be infringing upon some Leica design patent??

Maybe I'm not in the majority, but anyway, just thought I'd share. Somehow I know I shouldn't be holding my breath for such a design in the near future.

Shawn

01-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The way hyper-P is at the moment, it's sooo quick and easy to chnage any of the exposure triad settings. Front wheel - Tv, back wheel - Av, OK+front wheel - ISO. Similar in M mode.

That not versatile enough for you?
01-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The dials on the X1 look quite cool, but from an ergonomic point of view (and considering these settings are often changed with the camera up to the eye), I much prefer the position of the dials on the Pentax DSLRs.
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hyper-P gives me just enough flexibility that I get lost on occasion and have to start anew.

More exposure controls wouldn't help me but I'd like to see SR back on the exterior of the K7. On my K10 I can use it without removing my eye from the viewfinder and I find value in that.

Perhaps a bit more flexibility in assigning functions to buttons would be in order.

01-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
I had a wow moment w/ Hyper-P after moving from Nikon, I think it's the best "tweak" on the traditional P mode, and yet so simple a concept.

I still prefer tangible, physical dials for the tri-controls of aperture, iso, and shutter speed... I don't know why, I'm the kind of person who wants big buttons (and not the touch-sensitive kinds) on microwaves

Shawn
01-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hyper program is one of the best features of Pentax DSLRs. apart from the cool looks, I believe the hard dials of the Leica are not adapted to the way modern bodies work. They actually limit you.

Just think of M mode, you get lost in your exposures, you press the green button and you're back on track. No way to do this fast (without removing your eye from the viewfinder) with hard dials.
01-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally I see nothing wrong with the way Pentax does it on the K-7. One command dial for shutter speed, one for aperture, and ISO+command dial for ISO. Not to mention the magical green button for metering and/or returning to defaults. It's all done with my right hand, I don't even have to use my left hand at all, it can stay in my pocket if I wish. Technically, I don't even have to look at what I'm doing, the dials and buttons are placed so perfectly. I can switch all these settings on the fly without ever taking my eye off the viewfinder.
01-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Hyper program is one of the best features of Pentax DSLRs. apart from the cool looks, I believe the hard dials of the Leica are not adapted to the way modern bodies work. They actually limit you.

Just think of M mode, you get lost in your exposures, you press the green button and you're back on track. No way to do this fast (without removing your eye from the viewfinder) with hard dials.
Yes I forgot about the magical green button, with three physical dials I imagine that I'd have to manually move each one to 'auto' to "reset", great point!

Unless, of course, Pentax designs it in such a way that when the green button is pressed, the camera ignores the settings of the physical dials and goes into 'auto' mode or some kind of P mode. Lol I'm just stretching it. So far I see that I'm the only person who wants this "archaic" design on a modern DSLR

Shawn

01-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

It'd make sense if it made life easier, but physical dials for each triad setting just wouldn't...
I think Pentax's hypermodes are versatile for quick, flick of a dial customisability.
01-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

K10D being my first dSLR, I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that I don't set the aperture with my left hand.

Therefore I'm still contemplating if it's a good idea to move the dial for this to either around the bajonet (control in the old fashioned way) or to the left hand side of the camera so it be controlled using the left thumb.
01-13-2010, 01:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote

More exposure controls wouldn't help me but I'd like to see SR back on the exterior of the K7. On my K10 I can use it without removing my eye from the viewfinder and I find value in that.

Perhaps a bit more flexibility in assigning functions to buttons would be in order.
Hi glangois,

It's actually pretty easy to toggle SR on an off without taking your eye from the VF. If you set up the INFO screen so SR is highlighted, this setting is remembered when you toggle the screen off, so all you have to do is press the Info button, then rotate either e-dial (the front is easier) one click either way to toggle SR either on or off. You can confirm the change by looking for the "little hand" in the VF.

The Info screen is a VERY nice feature, IMO.

Sometimes a bit more flexibility in working around "problems" is in order. . .

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 01-13-2010 at 02:29 AM.
01-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It'd make sense if it made life easier, but physical dials for each triad setting just wouldn't...
I think Pentax's hypermodes are versatile for quick, flick of a dial customisability.
I forgot to mention, I was thinking of putting these dials on a smaller Pentax body, not exactly on its current line of DSLRs. Imagine a Pentax the size of Micro 4/3 cameras from Olympus and Panasonic but with Pentax's selection of pancake primes!

On a side note, I used my friend's Canon 5D and didn't care for its user-controls, but I thought that the big dial on the back was an ingenious approach, so "clean" and efficient, plus it's so big and gloves friendly.
01-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi glangois,

It's actually pretty easy to toggle SR on an off without taking your eye from the VF. If you set up the INFO screen so SR is highlighted, this setting is remembered when you toggle the screen off, so all you have to do is press the Info button, then rotate either e-dial (the front is easier) one click either way to toggle SR either on or off. You can confirm the change by looking for the "little hand" in the VF.

The Info screen is a VERY nice feature, IMO.

Sometimes a bit more flexibility in working around "problems" is in order. . .

Scott
Thank you, as well, for not reminding me that I might have found that with closer attention to the manual (MHFTWCATHM is better than the other abbreviation!).