Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just got my K-7, but ...

It sounds like something heavy is sliding around inside when I tilt the camera to either side. I'm assuming this isn't normal, but wanted to ask before I returned it for a replacement.

01-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My K-7 doesn't make any sound at all, no matter which way I handle it. If it sounds like there's something loose in there, it might be a bad sign.
01-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it's the sensor, it moves around when the camera is off on the shake reduction mechanism, it is perfectly normal.
01-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
It sounds like something heavy is sliding around inside when I tilt the camera to either side. I'm assuming this isn't normal, but wanted to ask before I returned it for a replacement.
It's the circuit board sliding around because the camera was made in the Philippines and they used glue made in Brazil...not really, it's just the sensor sliding around--your camera's "shake reduction" relies on the fact that the sensor is free to move around.

01-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Its normal.
The sensor floats free when the camera is turned off, this is what you are hearing.
Don't presume that that which you don't understand is a flaw.
Go out and take some pictures.
01-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Its normal.
The sensor floats free when the camera is turned off, this is what you are hearing.
Don't presume that that which you don't understand is a flaw.
Go out and take some pictures.
Thanks for the quick answer, that's good to know! But I'm sure you also realize no one appreciates a high-handed tone when they've come here for the precise reason of determining whether something is a problem or not. You can't lecture someone for not understanding something and also for trying to understand it.
01-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

im sure its partly because that is the most asked questions on the forum
01-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #8

It's completely normal - it's sensor/shake reduction block. You should be worried only if you DON't hear and fell it sliding around. I think that is even stated at the beginning of User Manual.

01-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
it's the sensor, it moves around when the camera is off on the shake reduction mechanism, it is perfectly normal.
Should that make a sliding sound though? I suppose it's tough to say without actually hearing the sound. I would take your camera into a store, and compare it to a floor model or two.
01-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Should that make a sliding sound though? I suppose it's tough to say without actually hearing the sound. I would take your camera into a store, and compare it to a floor model or two.
Yes, it does make the sliding sound. It's pretty big metal block that's floating around with a sensor on it. Looks like this (K20d, but it's similar):

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cameras/2008/pentax-k20d/is.jpg
01-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey you're all right! I hadn't noticed it before. I have to shake my camera pretty hard to make that sound happen. It's not something I like doing to my expensive camera.
01-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it's normal, i think it happens with my K20D as well...
01-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Thanks for the quick answer, that's good to know! But I'm sure you also realize no one appreciates a high-handed tone when they've come here for the precise reason of determining whether something is a problem or not. You can't lecture someone for not understanding something and also for trying to understand it.
It's Wheatfield normal behavior. If you stick around long enough, you won't pay attention to it anymore. Growing up in the Canadian prairies keep you away from the civilized world, so you end up more or less like an ogre.
01-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
It's Wheatfield normal behavior. If you stick around long enough, you won't pay attention to it anymore. Growing up in the Canadian prairies keep you away from the civilized world, so you end up more or less like an ogre.
Amen to that
01-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

If your k-7 does not make any sound as if something is loose inside, that is a bad sign - may be you mistakenly ordered a Canon/Nikon. or the sensor inside the camera is mistakenly glued/fixed.