Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Now I have the dilemma:

I received the quote from CRIS to repair my K100D.

$225 plus shipping.

1) I can buy an EX+ condition body from KEH for the same price...
2) I can have mine repaired
3) I can put the $225 toward a K-7

What is your advice? the camera works fine in manual mode, just no auto metering (and cant use the kit lens or any DA lens)

-k

01-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #17

I was in a similar situation last year with my PZ-1P; the cost to repair was about the same as buying a replacement one.

What convinced me to have them repair it was that the repair price included a CLA, and came with a 90 day warranty from Pentax for the whole camera. To me, this made a repaired camera a better bet than the one from KEH. This was through my local camera shop who couldn't do the initial repair and then sent it in to Pentax for me, so I don't know if the terms are the same.

I really like my K100D and think it is well worth $225. I can't honestly say that if mine broke I wouldn't use it as an excuse to my wife to buy a K-7, though.

Ira
01-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
I received the quote from CRIS to repair my K100D.

$225 plus shipping.

1) I can buy an EX+ condition body from KEH for the same price...
2) I can have mine repaired
3) I can put the $225 toward a K-7

What is your advice? the camera works fine in manual mode, just no auto metering (and cant use the kit lens or any DA lens)

-k
You could buy the KEH body and sell your old one on ebay for parts or repair. You might get more than you think (or not)
01-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmm, thats an interesting thought... I could sell the broken one since it isnt TOTALLY broken. OTOH, I could also keep it for emergency backup...

I am leaning towards buy the k-7 keep the partially broken for backup...

-k

01-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just declined the service and paid $12 for shipping it back to me.

If only the K-7 price would plummet....

-k
01-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #21

Since I'm currently shopping for a new dSLR, I'm glad I read this thread. 6-8 weeks average for a repair seems unreasonable to me.
01-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #22
Forum Member

I just got my K20D back from C.R.I.S. today, after sending it off not even 2 weeks ago (maybe on the 14th). My AE-L button was broken such that it wouldn't "click" and pressing anywhere near it would cause it to activate (e.g. the standard thumb resting place). Even zooming in on a picture would kick over to "protect/unprotect" after two ticks of the wheel. Honestly I was afraid that some scratches I have on the top of the camera that have been there for months would have made them refuse my warranty request, but no, I got my service. Maybe it was a super-simple procedure, maybe it was common (I read about someone else having a similar issue w/his K20D AE-L), but either way that sort of turnaround was outstanding to me, and completely unexpected based on what the Pentax Imaging website said, and especially based on what I've read here.

Count me in the Satisfied camp.

01-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #23

That's great to hear. Thank you for posting.
01-27-2010, 05:19 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
Since I'm currently shopping for a new dSLR, I'm glad I read this thread. 6-8 weeks average for a repair seems unreasonable to me.
To be fair, the 6-8 week repair time was due to waiting for a parts shipment from Japan for a discontinued model (K10D). When I had to send my camera back a second time, the turnaround was more like 2 weeks.

Other than their lack of communication (they're helpful if you contact them, but CRIS will never initiate any contact with you), CRIS is a decent outfit for warranty service. But it seems ANY out-of-warranty repair is priced at the exact same price as purchasing a used or refurbished unit. Knowing this ahead of time might influence your decision to send a unit for out-of-warranty repair.