Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Whats your Pentax Repair experience?

I just sent in my K100D for repair. It has a strange behavior.
1) It does not change the aperture with any auto aperture lens.
2) Using Manual mode with a manual aperture setting (with aperture ring) DOES work. It DOES stop down the lens so "green button" metering works also.
Of course using the camera in manual mode is how I almost always work. So I didnt notice this for who knows how long?
Anyway, back to my question. I dont know what to expect from Pentax repair. What was your experience? Good? Bad? How long? How expensive?
-k

01-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience has been good. One warenty repair and one non. Both took around 6 weeks but both were done fine. The non warenty repair was around 270 and was 1/2 parts and 1/2 labor. Wasn't cheap but it seemed fair too.

As I recall, they receive your camera, then diagnose it, then tell you how much, then get your authorization, then they fix it. YMMV
01-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #3

I believe minimum cost that I was quoted for any non-warranty repair is about $200 - IIRC
01-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I recently posted about my repair experience here. Eventually, I received my K10D back in working order. Not sure I wouldn't opt for replacing with a refurbished model next time, though (cost would be nearly the same, and I'd have the camera several weeks sooner).

01-13-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter

They will give you a quote and then you either accept it or have them send it back to you. You need to think about what your camera is worth -- replacement costs, etc and decide if it is worth it to fix it.

I have been quite satisfied with Pentax repair (I guess it is CRIS now). Once they had the parts they needed, the repair was done in a couple of days and done perfectly.
01-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have posted mine before, but note, I live within driving distance of Pentax Canada, who still do their own repair work,

I took my K10D in and had it returned within 10 days and this spanned a weekend and a mid week national holiday.

I had the shutter replaced (origonal complaint) plus new mirror box and lens mount (additional parts installed by pentax)

Total repair bill was $325 CDN and the camera came back completely cleaned as well. I couldn't be happier.

They did object a little to my diagonal split image, advising it could impact metering (as if the K10D metering could actually get worse )

My only complaint is that they had moved, it was a 25 minute drive, as opposed to 5. They used to be really, really close to my house.
01-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience, after my K20D took a tripod tumble last spring, was entirely satisfactory. This was not warranty work, btw--the cost was +/- $250 ( & worth it.)

Last edited by dadipentak; 01-13-2010 at 08:39 AM.
01-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Good experience.

I dropped my K10D with 18-55 kit lens, it was all in a padded case, but I was having trouble with over exposure after that.

Physically took it into Pentax Canada (close to home), explained the problem, left the body. Got it back, put the lens on and same problem, although they had indicated on the repair receipt (free, they did it under warranty - ) that the problem was resolved. Took it back and asked to show it to a technician rather than just fill out the form. I tried to show him what was happening in the lobby and he said, "oh, it's just bad light in here" but I left the body and I got it back in 10 days. He told me they calibrated the metering, adjusted the shutter speed and everything seemed fine. Put the lens back on and, same problem. Went back to Pentax, same technician, showed him issue, he took the camera and lens in back, came out and told me it was the lens and one of the aperture blades was cracked, so the aperture wasn't changing when the shutter was released. Fixed the kit lens for $60, and it's worked perfect since, and add to that the previous calibrations they did to the body, I'm very pleased.

Maybe if I had to ship it back and forth I would have been a little more frustrated, but being able to just drop in made it very convenient and didn't take long.

01-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I sent my K7 to C.R.I.S. back in October. Took 5-6 weeks for a warranty replacement of the SR system. The staff was very friendly, but communication must be initiated by you. Camera was returned in 100% perfect working order, maybe 300+ test actuation's at their end. I'd rate my experience 5 stars out of 5.
01-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
thanks for the stories

I guess I am a little nervous now, because I can replace the camera for $215 from KEH... If the repair is going to be at least that, I would save time by not even sending it in...
I have been trying to justify a K7, but it just plain costs too much. Now I am going to be dropping $200 bucks for the same camera I had last year.
-k
01-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Good experience.

I dropped my K10D with 18-55 kit lens, it was all in a padded case, but I was having trouble with over exposure after that.

Physically took it into Pentax Canada (close to home), explained the problem, left the body. Got it back, put the lens on and same problem, although they had indicated on the repair receipt (free, they did it under warranty - ) that the problem was resolved. Took it back and asked to show it to a technician rather than just fill out the form. I tried to show him what was happening in the lobby and he said, "oh, it's just bad light in here" but I left the body and I got it back in 10 days. He told me they calibrated the metering, adjusted the shutter speed and everything seemed fine. Put the lens back on and, same problem. Went back to Pentax, same technician, showed him issue, he took the camera and lens in back, came out and told me it was the lens and one of the aperture blades was cracked, so the aperture wasn't changing when the shutter was released. Fixed the kit lens for $60, and it's worked perfect since, and add to that the previous calibrations they did to the body, I'm very pleased.

Maybe if I had to ship it back and forth I would have been a little more frustrated, but being able to just drop in made it very convenient and didn't take long.
the lesson here is if you drop the camera and lens, send them both in, not just one half the problem.

It is unfortunate that there were multiple trips involved but it is hard to find fault with pentax (and I note here you dont blame them for this) when there was nothing wrong with the camera.

Perhaps, and Only you can answer is dod they know that the camera and lens were both dropped and did they ever suggest you bring in the lens. Perhaps they shoud have asked sooner.

good that it is all working now though
01-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the lesson here is if you drop the camera and lens, send them both in, not just one half the problem.

It is unfortunate that there were multiple trips involved but it is hard to find fault with pentax (and I note here you dont blame them for this) when there was nothing wrong with the camera.

Perhaps, and Only you can answer is dod they know that the camera and lens were both dropped and did they ever suggest you bring in the lens. Perhaps they shoud have asked sooner.

good that it is all working now though

Fully agree, it was as much my fault as Pentax, and that's why I felt it was good service overall. Lesson learned as well, if a problem is occuring with camera and lens, leave camera AND lens to be repaired. They did not know camera and lens were dropped, I just indicated that I was having problems. And in reality the drop was no more than if I was carrying the bag in my hand and bumped a wall/door/corner. I was taking the bag out of the back of my Yukon and set it on the bumper beside the licence plate (lowest part of the bumper), and it got knocked while I was getting other items, and fell to the ground, so it was about a 1 to 1.5 foot fall. It was a leather gadget bag with the padded dividers inside.

I guess it was one of those "they should have asked" or "I should have told them on the first visit" so again, they did the best they could with the information they had, and overall I'm satisfied.
01-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Fully agree, it was as much my fault as Pentax, and that's why I felt it was good service overall. Lesson learned as well, if a problem is occuring with camera and lens, leave camera AND lens to be repaired. They did not know camera and lens were dropped, I just indicated that I was having problems. And in reality the drop was no more than if I was carrying the bag in my hand and bumped a wall/door/corner. I was taking the bag out of the back of my Yukon and set it on the bumper beside the licence plate (lowest part of the bumper), and it got knocked while I was getting other items, and fell to the ground, so it was about a 1 to 1.5 foot fall. It was a leather gadget bag with the padded dividers inside.

I guess it was one of those "they should have asked" or "I should have told them on the first visit" so again, they did the best they could with the information they had, and overall I'm satisfied.
It's a good thing my computer is not as sensitive, I hate to think the number of times my computer bag has rolled off the back seat onto the floor of my car

I suspect my shutter problem might also have been due to a drop but don't actually remember the camera falling.
01-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #14
Forum Member

After two 35mm SLRs, two Optio point and shoots, an istDS, a K100d and K10d over about ten years I have to say that I have had NO Pentax repair experience. (fingers crossed it stays that way)
Simmo
01-15-2010, 06:18 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Re: Repair Experience

Hi:

I recently received back my 16-50 DA*. It took 7 weeks for the repair--to the auto focus. Pentax/CRIS was relatively friendly, but nothing special and all communication must be initiated by the consumer.

I was fairly disappointed. Bad samples do occur, but the 16-50, as has been much discussed, had a (known) problem. The 16-50 that I sent in also was my second copy as the first I received from Amazon (who by the way has been amazing with their service) could not focus properly. It was not a front or back focus issue, but rather the right might be in focus, but not the left or the other way around.

Pentax' minimal level of service and support, along with a seemingly higher number of problems in their product line, make me somewhat regretful of my choice to go with Pentax. Sure the big two are more expensive and have their own issues, but if I had to do it again I likely would go for one of the big two.

As I learn more and more the actual camera is really less of an issue unless you have a very specific need (i.e., high frame rate, always shoot at very high ISO, etc.).

I remember when we bought a Nissan van during the model's first year and there were lots of "technical bullletins/tiny recalls." Nissan, without asking, extended our warranty and wrote a nice (form) letter to us. That little bit of effort goes a long way to develioping brand loyalty.

Anyway, I know, just venting.

Gregg