Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 12:15 AM   #1

Metz SCA 371 with DSLR?

Hi guys,

I just purchased a Metz 32 CT-7 for my Samsung GX20 and it works pretty fine with the middle contact mount which sold with it. I searched eBay for a TTL mount and found the SCA 371 which goes with this flash and analog pentax SLRs.

My question is wether there is any problem when I mount the flash with the TTL SCA adapter to my Samsung GX20? Does it work? Can it damage the cam?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ciao,

Karhallarn

01-13-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Karhallarn Quote
Hi guys,

I just purchased a Metz 32 CT-7 for my Samsung GX20 and it works pretty fine with the middle contact mount which sold with it. I searched eBay for a TTL mount and found the SCA 371 which goes with this flash and analog pentax SLRs.

My question is wether there is any problem when I mount the flash with the TTL SCA adapter to my Samsung GX20? Does it work? Can it damage the cam?
It would probably work , but exactly as the humble SCA300 with the center contact. At best you get the flash ready signal in the viewfinder through the 371. I only have the 372, so I can't verify that.

But there is no TTL capability in the current Pentax/Samsung DSLRs anymore. That was replaced with P-TTL (as all other manufactureres did, too) as TTL is not reliably working with a sensor. So you can use the Metz 32 only in Auto-mode, which is fine by the way. I don not think, buying the SCA 371 makes much sense.

Ben
08-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I do know this thread is quite old, but the questions raised here are asked in many forums over and over again. So I want to add some information to the answers I can read quite frequently.

The SCA300 system was a joined system introduced by the main german flash manufacturers Bauer (Bosch), Cullmann, Metz, Osram, and Regula. I think Bauer left that club early, or stopped producing flashes, I can't remember. The SCA300 system is from the analog era and has been replaced by the SCA3000 system, and lately by SCA3002 (SCA3002 ROM can be updated if camera manufacturers introduce/modify features and the flash itself can handle that).

The general opinion seems to be, that using SCA300 with a DSLR will just trigger the flash, nothing else. This is not true.

The latest Pentax dedicated SCA300 modules, SCA372 based (and the SCA374/2 which includes a infraread AF beam), while analog only, can do somethng more, if the camera supports it.

1. The "flash ready sign" will show if the flash is connected, switched on, and sufficiently loaded.

2. If the camera is in M mode and the exposure is set to a shorter time than the shortest possible flash exposure time, this will be modified automatically. This applies only to the "flash ready" condition, if not ready anymore the original time setting will be restored.

3. If the camera is in Av mode, any exposure time setting longer than the recommended time for the focal length will be shortened to that time, again the original (measured in Av) setting being restored as long as the flash is not ready. As an example, with a kit zoom zooming from 18mm up to 55mm may results in exposure time automatically varying from 1/30..1/45..1/60. But nobody is perfect, it does not include in its calculation whether SR is switched on or off.

Of course all this is done not by the module, but by the camera. As the camera gets the "flash ready" signal correctly, it acts as it should. So at least not ALL the communication is coded digital.

I tested it with a Pentax K200D, a Metz SCA372 module, and a Metz Mecablitz 28CT-7. If someone needs the information, I could also test it with a SCA370 and SCA374/2 modules, and SCA flashes Metz Mecablitz 36CT-3 and Regula Variant 742-2.

If one is using only ONE flash, the AUTO setting of the Metz flashes gives VERY consistent results (it's highly precise center preferring measurement). This is true also for indirect flashing with/without direct flashing (by beam splitting or front flash built-in in the same flash).
I remember, when I did a lot of party photographing back in the 1980s and replaced my ME Super by a Super A (Super Program in US), after a while I switched back from TTL flashing to the Metz AUTO mode - it was WAY more reliable. I ended using TTL flashing just for special purposes (like slide copying using a flash as a light source).

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-24-2011 at 03:20 PM.
08-25-2011, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Add to RKKS08's post:

- The SCA374/2 module, with no flash attached, can be used by a camera body as a focus assist lamp. This can be helpful for Pentax DSLR bodies that don't feature focus assist lamp.

- The SCA3000 series (module SCA3701) when used with some Metz flash models (e.g. 40MZ series), can get ISO, aperture, and focal length settings from the camera. Auto mode then is known as "smart" auto mode. This applies also to SCA3002 series (module SCA3702).

- Flash model 54MZ-4 and 54MZ-4i, when coupled with SCA3702M3, supports p-TTL and trailing curtain sync (no wireless, no HSS, however). SCA3702M2 can be updated to SCA3702M3 by sending it to Metz service center (SCA3702M can't be updated).