Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Manual exposure with K10D - dumb question

I've been having a problem shooting in manual... I can set the F-stop and shutter speed where I want, snap a single picture... then the camera settings change. Is there something I'm missing to keep the settings exactly where I had them before I clicked the shutter?

...probably something stupid I'm missing. Man, do I feel dumb already - LOL.

Thanks for your help!

06-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you have the flash open?
06-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Pentax Hammer Quote
I've been having a problem shooting in manual... I can set the F-stop and shutter speed where I want, snap a single picture... then the camera settings change. Is there something I'm missing to keep the settings exactly where I had them before I clicked the shutter?

Thanks for your help!
Dumb question but are you accidentally hitting the green button, or either thumb wheel?

its real easy to do
06-22-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No sir... flash not open!

Just checked my grip on the camera... not hitting either button.

Hmm.... maybe my question was only half as dumb as I thought if you guys are stumped too.

06-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I shoot in manual more than half the time and have not seen this issue. If I understand your issue properly there may be a mechanical problem. In the interest of making sure I understand properly let me run down what I think you are saying...

You have the right hand dial set to M to allow you to set both shutter speed and aperture independantly, regardless of cameras opinion (my camera and I argue from time to time, but we're still friends), take the desired photograph and when setting up the next shot you notice that your desired perameters have been altered by the camera. Is that right?
06-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

No sir... flash not open!

Just checked my grip on the camera... not hitting either button.

Hmm.... maybe my question was only half as dumb as I thought if you guys are stumped too.
The camera is set to M manual correct? The lens is an M series or A, FA, D-FA? lens is in the A setting or a selected aperture? A few more details and some guru here will have the answer I'm sure.
06-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Dave, you are correct in what you ask.

Peter, It's the kit lens that Pentax is selling with the camera. The DA 18-55 whateverelseyoucallit lens.

And yes... the dial is set to M.
06-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Strange.

How much do the values change?
Can you give an example?

Do the new values then stay only for the next shot and then they change again?

When testing, keep the camera aligned exactly to the same object.

06-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

This happens to me, too, with my K10D from time to time. More or less by definition, it happens when I'm not looking. Nevertheless, I am convinced that the fault is mine, not the camera's. It seems to have happened more since I started using the grip over a month ago, and that I think is fairly easy to explain: with the grip attached, I am moving my hands around on the camera more than I used to, because I keep switching from grabbing the right side of the camera body to grabbing the "grip side." When I didn't use the grip, all I did was tilt the camera 90 degrees - without really moving my right hand.

For myself at least, I think one of three things must be happening.

1. When I'm using the grip, and the grip shutter is turned ON, if I turn the camera to its normal orientation for a shot and I'm not real carefully with my hand, there's a chance that I'll hit the green button on the grip accidentally with the palm of my hand. Note that I think this is the LEAST likely explanation. It's not that easy to press the green button with the palm of my hand, even if I'm trying.

2. As I shift orientation from portrait/vertical to landscape/horizontal quickly from shot to shot, it's possible for me to rub the front e-dial accidentally. Having an effect here is still not EASY - the dial doesn't move if you simply graze it lightly - but I can reproduce this deliberately without too much effort and this seems more probable than #1.

3. Both the green button AND the front e-dial are relatively new features to me. My suspicion is that, at times when I'm excited or fumbling around with my fingers in the front of the camera, I either move the front e-dial or touch the green button with enough force to trigger it.

I shoot mostly in three modes: M, Av, and TAv. I don't recall it ever happening to me in Av, which I find significant. In Av, the front e-dial and the green button are both disabled. The shutter speed is set by the camera. But in TAv and M, the front e-dial button is enabled and so is the green button.

It happened to me again the other day as I was shooting a swim meet. Shooting in M mode (with desired settings of something like f/6.7 and 1/500s), I took a series of shots before I noticed that the shutter speed had shot up to 1/2000s - causing a bunch of shots to be badly underexposed. What I'm trying to do now is simply be more conscious of my hand as I hold the camera and especially as I switch orientations.

Will
06-22-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Will, I had thought of the exact same things you mention. Peter, are you using the grip and could the thoughts that Will mentioned be happening? It sounds like it would be hard not to notice that you were touching/bumping a button/dial, but I have the opposite problem... sometimes I can't change the Av with the real dial because the palm of my hand is touching the shutter button on the grip, disabling the wheels on the camera. Just a thought, we gotta get this thing figured out.
06-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just a possibility, but is sensitivity set to auto? Auto is not allowed in the Hyper-Program mode as it will promptly override manual settings. Refer to the bottom of page 140 in the owners manual.

stewart
06-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

By the way, I should add that, while in my case, it seems easiest to blame my clumsiness on my unfamiliarity with the grip - I have 30+ years of non-grip camera-holding muscle memory to overcome - nevertheless, I am sure I would be capable of being clumsy even without the grip, just perhaps not as often. So even if the OP doesn't use the battery grip, he may still be making the same unconscious mistakes that I'm making.

Or his camera may be possessed by a demon. That has been known to happen, too. Although it happens more with Canon.

Will
06-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't imagine that you have the camera set up for bracket shooting. That could cause this situation
06-23-2007, 01:02 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I keep grabbing my camera and asking myself if I'm doing any of the things you mention.... while holding the camera the way I do when shooting.

All I can say on ALL of the above comments is... no on all counts. And yes I'm sure I'm in Manual. I bought my wife her first SLR (Pentax ME Super) 25 years ago. I've always used manual settings on her camera, and continue to do so on mine. I honestly do appreciate you guys trying your best to cover all bases,,, but take my word for the fact that I know how to set up a camera for manual settings, and yes, the settings are what I first mentioned.... not a single doubt about it.

This has really got me stumped! I expected someone to come up and say something like "Hey you big dummy, set the x button to z and it will work fine. Obviously something is wrong here. Maybe it's time to walk into the local camera store where I bought it. Those guys have been specializing in Pentax equipment for years. They might have a clue.
06-23-2007, 03:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Gary, You've got me stumped on this one. Please let us know what the store says.