Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 05:34 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A camera today is basically a computer, with a sensor in the middle. The cost of the camera comes primarily from the physical body, shutter, etc that the camera company selects as well as the electronic components within it. Software, which controls auto focus, digital filters and everything else is the smallest cost. It is often updated from the previous iteration of the camera and sometimes isn't even updated, but just brought on without changes.

Anyway, this camera is an entry level camera for advanced users. Strange concept.

01-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Well, you could buy a Sony A850 and tape over the buttons/dials that bother you.
01-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I think there is a market for a simplified camera, but it has nothing to do with image quality.

The features and controls we have on our cameras have nothing to do with image quality. And, reducing thes features will have no effect on the price of the camera.

In my opinion, a simplified camera would be a big hit with people like my parents, and the other grey haired baby boomers out there.

They want a simple tool to take family and vacation pics, they want quality, and they don't want a 150 page user's manual. Reduce the controls, reduce the menu options. Make it light weight, easy to hold, and small. My parents don't care about white balance, or autofocus settings, or RAW. They just want to turn it on, point, shoot, and get great shots.

You might think that a DSLR is not the tool of choice, but when I was a kid, Dad shot with a Spotmatic. I could see him use a Spotmatic DSLR today if one existed.
01-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Buy a canon P&S, my 7D is in the green zone...wait i gotta check if it has one because i've only used the paper weight twice once at the store and once again when i got home while i was still in shock for buying it when i originally went to get my K7 LOL

yes, you're right i'm not a pro and i give the enthusiasts a bad name

01-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Hmm, let me see... Seems like I have seen a camera like that somewhere before...Oh yeah, are you talking about something like this?

I'd kill for a viewfinder like that in a DSLR!