Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #1

Low cost / high quality DSLR ?

Hi to you all !

I just have a small question...

What would be your reaction if Pentax (or any other company, but let's say Pentax because most of us are Pentaxians) released a new DSLR body, with a revolutionnary concept...

The concept would be super high quality / low cost...

Let me explain it...

All the money and the R&D investments would be spent on the image quality exclusively...
Everything that might seem unnecessary would be suppressed...

That would mean :

- no autofocus
- no program modes, no priority aperture or Auto or scenes or whatever : all Manual
- no inessential Image processing (like Black & White or sepia filters or anything that looks like a toy)

Everything else that could be suppressed without obstructing the functionning of the camera would be suppressed...

What if this camera was released, and what if it cost 2 000 dollars with the image quality / noise processing corresponding to the image quality of a professional DSLR that would cost 6 000 dollars for instance ?

The prices are just examples, but if my question does not appear completely silly, I would be interested to read your comments...

:ugh:

01-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The stuff you're proposing to remove probably costs $10 per camera. You'd cut the cost by 1% and alienate 99% of the market.
01-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Damn Brit

I don't think sensors are that cheap yet.
01-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hummm

Now that you say so... I guess you must be right !

01-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hmm, let me see... Seems like I have seen a camera like that somewhere before...Oh yeah, are you talking about something like this?

01-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Hmm, let me see... Seems like I have seen a camera like that somewhere before...Oh yeah, are you talking about something like this?

That's a film camera.
01-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
That's a film camera.
Oooohhh...that explains why my SDM won't work...
01-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Oooohhh...that explains why my SDM won't work...
I bet you have trouble getting your mirror up as well.

01-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I bet you have trouble getting your mirror up as well.
Yeeaaahh...that would explain the problem I am having with the viewfinder...

Any ideas on why the screen on the back won't show my pictures?
01-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the point is, it is not just the sensor.

any pentax DSLR gives comparable to better shots than film, but the reason the KX does not sell any more except to those that live in the past is it lacks integrated flash systems, better metering etc.

the sensor alone does not make a camera, and a $2000 sensor in a K1000 will still suffer from all the inherent inaccuracies of the metering, focusing, and shutter timing.

A DSLR, or for that matter any modern film camera is a SYSTEM

This includes TTL or P-TTL flash, HSS, wireless flash, much better shutters, viewfinders etc.

the bells and wistles are all pretty much free in the cost, it is after-all a few lines of programming code for each "mode" and all the other issues with respect to image are up to the chip developer any way, not the camera maker.

the chip developer makes the best sensors they can at the time, the camera maker designs the system
01-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Rubbish idea. IQ is over rated toa degree, you need to get the image first so you need that fast processing and direct controls and auto focus.

The sensor is still very expensive compared to the cost of making the camera. You can go out right now and drop $2k on a FF camera with a smokin sensor already so ... what are you proposing exactly?
01-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Some (not me) might argue that what you are proposing is a cheaper Leica M9. Like a "Contax G9d" if such a thing were to exist.

No thanks.
01-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
IQ is basically a function of the sensor. Stripping out those other features - which as mentioned add little to the cost of the camra but are considered essential by 99% of photographers - would not in itself help IQ. Only developing a better sensor would. And Pentax is not now nor hve they ever been in the sensor design business. They'd have to lay off their entire R&B staff and hire an entirely new one, plus build an entirely new sensor fabrication facility, in order to do what you are proposing. Result would be a camera that would appeal to a tiny fraction of the market, and the cost per unit would probably have to be on the order of $100,000 or more to recoup the enormous cost it would take to re-invent themselves as a company in order to get into the sensor business.
01-14-2010, 04:36 AM   #14

Original Poster
Yep, sorry about that...

Rubbish idea !
01-14-2010, 04:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Pentax wouldn't sell any of them. If they are going to produce a camera body which only 3% of the market would choose, they'd release a FF model.

Jason