Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #1

Lens compatibility of K100D

Hi there,

I have 3 lenses, SMC Pentax-F 70-210 mm, SMC Pentax-F 50 mm Macro and SMC Pentax-A 28 mm. Now, I am planning to buy a D-SLR, if I can use this lenses with K100D, I preferto buy it? Please help me about compatibility of my lenses with K100D. And, what about K100D?

Thanks...

06-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
TDN
Forum Member

Your K100D will work with every Pentax lens ever made.

Dependng on the type, they'll work with certain limitations.

I wrote a little page about all this here: Pentax Digital Pentax Lens Types

The ones you named will work in all exposure modes on the K100D

Tom
06-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Short answer: yes, you can use them.

Longer answer: You can use any Pentax lens ever made*. This includes manual lenses, F and FA lenses, medium format 67/645 lenses with adapters, screwmount lenses from a million years ago with adapter again.

* I admit I must put in a qualifier here, since technically the auto 110 lenses will not fit due to it being a smaller format/mount/etc.
06-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get it... I mean K100D
it will work with all Pentax or third party K-fit lenses ever made (and even other pentax fit lenses - may have to use adapter for screw mounts or so), I have old manual Hoya K-fit, works perfectly fine...

06-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll second that, with the proviso that if you have a little more cash to spare.. I mean invest in, to buy a body, then perhaps the K10D is an even better choice.

But I'll never talk down on the K100D - it's the one I've got, and I'm more than pleased with it. The obvious limitations I have with it is the slow write speed to the SD card, the low burst shot capability in continuous shooting mode, and minimum 200 ISO. But when it comes to image quality, I can't fault it.

I'm not a highly experienced photographer, but some of the shots that have come out of this camera with such minimal effort, have been breathtaking. And the limitations I've mentioned haven't bothered me yet - so if you're fine with them too, then yep, go for the K100D!
06-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that all ( even screw mount versions w/ adapter fit) including almost all other K mount 3rd party or other brands.

But want to add a qualifier to the thread. Newer Ricoh K mount (PK/R Mount ) lenses look the same as their older versions that DO fit Pentax. But the ones with the "Program" button will jam on a Pentax K mount AF body. The program pin on the mount will drop into the AF drive slot and jam on the camera before the lens locks in place. It is a bugger to get off the camera and often will require a trip to the service shop to remove the lens.

Also there are some (Vivitar and maybe some others) that have a longer collar that sheilds the aperture link tab. These were designed before AF was introduced with the SF series. The older cameras had a more wide open Mirror bucket. Once AF was introduced the Mirror bucket was partly taken up by contact pins and the AF motor. The open space behind the camera's mount was reduced and these lenses will not mount without cutting part of the collar off the lens. So if you are buying one of these older versions make sure the collar is the same size and length as a Pentax K mount lens. (99. % fit just fine without worry and this longer collar was rare)

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-22-2007 at 09:58 PM.