Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K100D: Diff Between P and Auto Pict Modes?

I've looked at my manual to try to fully understand the difference between what the K100D does or doesn't do in 'P' vs 'Auto Pict' Mode. Can anyone shine some light on the subject? Although I usually work in P, Tv, or Av modes, I have this thing about fully understanding the full potential, or limitations, of my toys.
Thanks for any insight you can provide,
Steve

06-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

My understanding of the Auto-pict mode is that it picks the best of the Scene modes to use. As far as I know, you can't change anything when in those modes - Natural/Bright, sharpness, contrast, etc... all of that is fixed.

I stick with P if I want "auto" mode
06-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #3

What I have observed in AutoPict mode is the camera will adjust exposure based on the focus distance information from the lens. For example, the camera assumes that when the focus is at infinity, you are shooting a lanscape and it adjusts aperture and shutter speed accordingly (what the firmware author believed was best). At the opposite end, when the lens is focusing at a very close distance, it moves to macro mode and you will see the flower appear in the viewfinder display. P mode only takes into account the light that the metering system sees, and makes no assumptions about what you may be photographing.

BobG
06-22-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both have the Pic modes right above.

Edit: I deleted this post as I mistakenly was describing a function for the K10D not the K00D. Sorry gotta be more careful reading the thread title. (Thanks Broonie) I hope it didn't confuse anybody.

Auto Pict: Is a totally point and shoot mode, The camera makes any adjustments from night portrait to action shooting. If the flash is set to "Auto" in the function menu the camera will even pop the flash when the light is too low.
SCN: (Pain in the ass mode) allows you to waste so much time selecting various presets in the function menu that you lost the shot. (sarcasm). I guess this has it's place (museums?) but I never use it on my K110 (BTW same camera as the K100D without the SR) and would rather shoot my sunsets in manual or Av mode. The only point I can see might be for a person new to the camera and wanting to have the camera decide a "night scene" etc. shot and then do the same thing manually themselves to check one against the other.
P mode: Sets the Tv (shutter) and Av (aperture) setting automatically and allows EV adjustments
Tv: Allows setting of shutter speed by turning the thumb wheel Av setting adjusts to correspond for correct exposure. The shutter speed is underlined in the display to show changes.
- Generally used when you need to have a higher shutter speed to capture fast moving subjects
Av: the opposite of Tv allows aperture adjustments
- Generally used when you want greater depth of field to get as much of the subject in focus when there is less movement.
M: Manual changes of both shutter and aperture, under exposure is shown as -_._ or over exposure as 0.3, 0.7, 1.0 etc
- Used for the most creative control and when you are using M42 and M,K series lenses with no "A" setting or "A" (A,F,FA,DA) setting lenses used in manual when
the lens is not on the "A" position. DA Lenses are all controlled with the camera thumb wheel and the Av[+/-] button.
Bulb setting for long exposures generally with a cable release.

The other settings on the dial like Macro, Landscape etc are for that particular subject. So for example if you want to take a close up (depending on the lens's ability) switch to "Macro" which is a (tulip?) flower on the dial.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-23-2007 at 06:48 AM. Reason: incorrect info
06-22-2007, 11:20 PM   #5

Peter, I'm not sure if I understood your reply correctly but if your saying that the 'P' mode is exclusive to Pentax then you are wrong. 'P' mode is sometimes referred to as Program Shift mode as you were saying because it shifts between Av and Tv Priority, and as I understand it the major difference is that the camera will not allow you to change the values of either shutter of apperature that will give an incorrect exposure whilst in 'P' mode. If I'm wrong then please correct me but this is how I understand this mode and I'm pretty sure that all DSLR's have it.
06-22-2007, 11:42 PM   #6

weel there are some parameters that are over-ridden in the pict modes like (and I am trying to remember) WB is AUto? AF is forced to AF.s

I use portrait mode for handing the camera to someone else so they can point and shoot.
06-23-2007, 02:25 AM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Haha... exactly!
My non-photography literate wife doesn't want to have to fuss with settings - she just wants to be able to look through and press that silver button when she sees what she likes! So she's quite happy with AutoPict, or one of the other green modes, but I find that I never use them as they usually don't capture what I want (especially because of DOF issues).

I use the P mode on occasion, and it's been useful when I want to preserve my menu settings but still want the auto Tv and Av settings.

I like the setup of the K10D, though. The single green mode still allows the point and shooter that automation, but makes more room for the creative modes.
06-23-2007, 03:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry Peter. The K100D does not have Hyper Program mode. Only the K10D and ist *D have it.

06-23-2007, 06:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Broonie Quote
Peter, I'm not sure if I understood your reply correctly but if your saying that the 'P' mode is exclusive to Pentax then you are wrong. 'P' mode is sometimes referred to as Program Shift mode as you were saying because it shifts between Av and Tv Priority, and as I understand it the major difference is that the camera will not allow you to change the values of either shutter of apperature that will give an incorrect exposure whilst in 'P' mode. If I'm wrong then please correct me but this is how I understand this mode and I'm pretty sure that all DSLR's have it.
Broonie and Roscot, you were totally right. I misread the title of the thread and rambled on about a unique feature of the K10D. Great thing about this forum is being able to delete my incorrect post. Thanks for picking that up. The "P" mode on the K110,K100D is very similar to the other brands out there and the K10D is set up differently with Hyper-Program at that setting.
06-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
Auto Pict vs P

Thanks all for your replies, they were informative. I've also been tinkering and found that you can actually dial in an Ev compensation in Auto Pict mode. Based on all your inputs, I'd say that appears to be the only thing you can change in that mode.
Thanks,
Steve