Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Years of research?Finally pulling the trigger on what was the flagship for Pentax 2.5 years ago?

It's a great body. I had one for 2 years and loved it. I recently sold it for a new K-7...would have kept the k10D, but needed the sale of one to finance the other.

Iso 800 can be a little noisy, but nothing you shouldn't be able to live without. Iso really depends on what type of shooting you do...sometimes grain/noise isn't a bad thing...sometimes it can be. If noise is your primary concern, why not look at a K-x instead....it seems to handle noise better than the K10D and is still in the same ball park, price-wise. If weather sealing isn't high on your priority list, I'd go for the K-x.

Jason
Yes, years

I've been wanting a DSLR since about 2004, haven't been able to afford one, so I've been researching various models since then. The K10D was the model I had set on once I found I could get it for about $350 shipped with kit lens.

The K100D comes with the 18-55 kit lens, a 50mm F2 SMC M, and a 28-80mm FA lens.

01-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alsterling Quote
Are you buying new or used? I missed that. A couple of months ago I bought an istD from a user on this site. I paid $200. Earlier this week I went to the Best Buy online site, and found refurbished K10D's for about $370, body only with all of the new-box accessories; battery, charger, etc. I'll be selling the istD shortly. I didn't shoot much with the istD, but was impressed with what I did shoot. My venture started when I blew the dust off of my Halliburton case, circa mid 70's, with a collection of SMC manual lenses, including my beloved 15mm low distortion. I'm looking forward to the K10D, and wouldn't pay attention to the "early death" issues. In my humble opinion, there will always be negatives on any photo device.
I'm planning on buying used from KEH.com

My budget is pretty small at this point, it WAS $200, but I have been able to bump it to $350.

The K100D with all the lenses seems like a lot of fun to me. Then again, those lenses are pretty cheap, and I could always get them later.
01-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #18
Inactive Account

The K10D is a nice camera. You have to be carefull about refurb's or used. If the used has a high shutter count or the refurb is not done right they will have a focus issue. I bought a K10D refurb from BB and returned within three days. It would not focus. It's a problem of the mirror and it's resting pin over time. Maybe you could call KEH to see if they could test the camera's focus just to make sure.

William
01-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I have never seen banding on my K10D. It has better high ISO then my D200.

You can make your high ISO shots as good or as bad as your skill will allow....

http://ehanson.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p466618148.jpg

How it can be done:

http://ehanson.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p285131969.jpg

I have no idea if the exif data can be seen. If not, all were shot at ISO 1600. And yes, they had some post processing, because that is how you would finish a real photo. Your milage may vary.
What did you change in the last picture? Third party noise removal?

01-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shoot with a K10. I had a K100 before that bit the dust when I got caught in a rain storm. The K10 is a better camera over all. Better focusing, penta prism, sealed body, and a lot easier access to camera functions. On the K100, the high iso was better (I could shoot to iso1600 with the K100, I don't shoot over 800 with the K10), but the auto iso was much worse. Felt like you had to adjust the iso every time you changed places.

Of course, now the K10 has been passed up by newer cameras, but I still shoot with it and get decent shots. Just make sure you know how to use noiseware or noise ninja or some such software. This is a photo of my daughter taken in a museum. Pretty poor lighting and iso 800.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The photos were both processed using lightroom. Very little noise reduction was applied.

The bad shot was underexposed and shot as a jpeg, then pushed to the correct exposure. The good shot was slightly over exposed, shot in RAW, then pulled back to the correct exposure.

All I was trying to show was that it matters more what you do as a photographer, then what the camera can do.

Sure a camera like the K-x takes better high ISO shots, but even with that camera, you can still really crank out a bad shot. Just like I did with the K10D. Any camera can be made to produce bad noise.

This is why I really wonder about the various pixel peeping test sites on the web. How much effort did the use to get the shot right, and how much noise did they add not doing the right things?

I think the K10D does really well with High ISO. Right up to 1600.