Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is K100D safe in glasshouses?

Hi guys,
last week me and my girlfriend went to Kew gardens, beautifull place... I think I will post some pics bit later
anyway, I was bit worried as we entered so called palm house. Since K100D doesn't have weather proof seals, is it safe to work in such humid conditions?? Or shall I avoid using it inside there or similar glasshouses
thx for advices

06-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I am kind of new to photography but from what I have read/heard from other people is that you leave your camera in your camera bag when you go in the glasshouse for about 5~10 mins before you pull it out and use it. Same procedure when you are going out into the colder climate. I think this will help proventing condensation in the camera/lens.

However as I said, I am relatively new to photography so you better wait for other answers first!

Kenny
06-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Find the posts people have put up about going between extremes of temperature. When you go from a cool or cold climate into the humidity you will need to guard against condensation. Having the camera inside a plastic bag while it acclimatizes to the ambient glasshouse temp is the best way to go. When you leave the microclimate the problem is not present in the glass house situation. Leaving temperate environment and entering freezing you also have to be careful..

Kjao, Depends on how cold your base level temp is. For example I have my gear in my bag in a fairly chilly airconditioned room. If I take the camera out of the bag outside even up to ten minutes after leaving the room ithe temp inside the bag is still cold enough to cause the camera to fog all over but especially on the class and LCD surfaces. Gives a nice softfocus effect if I try to think positively about the situation but usually its a pain as I wait for the camera to literally warm up. btw I live in the tropics and it is a late wet season! Everything grows mildew if the airco isn't left on.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 06-22-2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: extended answer
06-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

"is K100D safe in glasshouses?" - just make sure it doesn't throw any stones!!