Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SD card folder partitions?

Maybe I've set something up incorrectly on my K20, but every shot taken for a specific day is loaded into a single folder ID'd for that day. I'd like to be able to shoot, shut down, then when I shoot again (on the same day) and have the camera store the "new" images as a second (third, fourth etc) folder. Can this be done?
Brian

01-16-2010, 01:59 AM   #2

I believe the only other option is to have them in one very big folder until it reaches 500 pictures.

You can reread page 230 of the manual just in case I got it wrong.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs//K20D_Manual.pdf

I wish there was this function though, or at least one to create folders manually(Canon's point-and-shoots can do this). It would be a firmware upgrade that would be easy to implement on many models and well desired by many people. One of my reasons is to reduce thumbnail generation time when reading my cards on the computer.
01-16-2010, 04:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Maybe I've set something up incorrectly on my K20, but every shot taken for a specific day is loaded into a single folder ID'd for that day. I'd like to be able to shoot, shut down, then when I shoot again (on the same day) and have the camera store the "new" images as a second (third, fourth etc) folder. Can this be done?
Brian
There are only two options available:
1) Store photos in folders named like 100_PENTX. Next folder is created when prev. has 500 photos in it.
2) And folders like 100_MMDD (month, day). Again, next folder 101_MMDD is created when there are 500 photos in prev. folder.

I have 100_MMDD selected, but actually I don't mind. Because all photos are downloaded to PC and sorted by Year/Month/Day by script using exiftool
01-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Just a nitpick, but you are asking about "folders"....A "partition" has a very different (and specific) meaning when it comes to computer storage.

Anyway, I just download (using Lightroom and a card reader) the photos to k:\2010\1\18 for pictures taken today (k:\ is my working external photo drive) and rename them 20100118_<sequence_number>.cr2 where <sequence_number> is just 001, 002, 003, etc....