Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

This is NOT base exposure!

Try and tell me the digital doesn't look like damn cartoon. I mean it just doesn't look right..I can't put my finger on it...is it the lack of grain thats driving me up the walls????

01-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Many times colors are oversaturated with digital, either through wrong colorspaces, incorrect white balance, incorrect exposure, or post-processing.

I think that is what you are seeing; oversaturation and hence, inaccurate color. A properly exposed and processed image can be indiscernible from a film image (in terms of color).

Black and white is a different matter; I still haven't seen a good black and white print from a digital camera that bests what even a beginner can create in the darkroom.
01-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is hard to say what you are seeing. I personally am annoyed by over photoshopped photos, but it is the photographers decision as to what he/she decides to do with a photo. As far as out of camera goes, that also has an awful lot to do with mode shooting (natural versus bright) and saturation/sharpness. You can make your photos look a lot like film, although they will have less grain at low iso.

I have a Sony Cybershot and it tends to do what you are talking about, with over saturated, unrealistic colors, particularly red. However, RAW from K20/K10 doesn't seem to do that.
01-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What am I looking at here?

01-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah! thats pretty much what its doing, it just seems things are way over-saturated. I realize that I can adjust these parameters on the camera, but is their any guide to just how far one way or the other to adjust things?

Well..where are you guys setting your saturation and all?
01-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

BTW, I feel like I'm in a twilight zone episode or something. What on earth is everyone talking about? I don't see any pictures in this thread - just text. How can we discuss whether something looks cartoonish or not if we don't see it? And what does "base exposure" have to do with anything?
01-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
BTW, I feel like I'm in a twilight zone episode or something. What on earth is everyone talking about? I don't see any pictures in this thread - just text. How can we discuss whether something looks cartoonish or not if we don't see it? And what does "base exposure" have to do with anything?
The same goes for me, I see no images in this thread.

01-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have no problems with digital; though some cameras come with the sharpness/saturation/contrast cranked sky high out of the box which can lend the resulting image some 'plastic' look...

But here's a shot from one of my digital bodies with things set to 'normal' -- I think the colors and all look just fine. Matter of fact, looks kind of like Fuji film.

01-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

With digital, you can make the image look 95% like any film ever made.

So, what settings are you using with the image no one can see?
01-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you cant find endless examples of well shot digital photos or shoot some of your own, what was the point of this thread? Fact is, not all digital photos look like cartoons (well, some bad HDRs will if pushed to the extreme) but most, in capable hands of a decent shooter, look fine.

Jason
01-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I've actually had people who've seen my work ask me (when they meet me for the first time and I have those big (D)SLRs) ask if I shoot film