Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

*istD death - where to next?

Hello all, this is pretty much my first post here after a quick intro in the 'welcome' section. Sorry it's about a problem, but there you go!

I've been a Pentax user for some years, changing to K-mount after starting with Nikon/Nikkormat - my kit was stolen, and I had the opportunity to buy a complete kit from a colleague, which turned out to be Chinon, and hence I switched mounts. Since then I've had a series of cameras: SF7 (also stolen - I moved house after that ) followed by an SFX, both secondhand. I treated myself to a new SLR after giving up smoking and saving the money for something useful instead, buying myself a Z1-P, and then in 2004 I finally went digital, and bought an *istD.

Here I am then, 6 years later, with a dead camera. I've had a search around and found this thread, which indicates a similar problem, but like all true hypochondriacs, I have to say that mine is much worse!

I sent the camera back to Pentax UK's repair centre at Johnson's, and they basically said it's a blown sensor and is irreparable. I know that given time and patience, I might find another *istD with, say, a shutter problem, and could maybe make one good one out of two scrappers, but in the meantime, I'm down one DSLR.

Johnson's 'solution' was to suggest I buy a K-m from them, but compared with the facilities of the *istD, the K-m isn't a replacement, and the price wasn't particularly good, so I declined and they sent me back the mortal remains of a much-loved camera.

Opening this to the floor, my question is: Where to next? The obvious thing would be the K7, but is the K20D still worth it? is the huge price hike to the K7 worth the money or not? I could perhaps spend the extra 400 on a nice lens.

For info, I take reasonably a broad section of pictures, more frequently 'things' rather than 'people.' A lot of shots are 'snapped' when I'm out walking, but often I'll go to a specific location for a set of specific photos - such as these recumbent racing shots perhaps. I have a few kit lenses - 28-80, 70-210 from the SF7/X era, 28-70 from the Z1-P, and 18-55 which came with the *istD. The main lens I use for fast work like the bike racing is a Tokina ATX-Pro 80-200 f2.8. That may give you an idea of what kind of things I need to do. Apart from shutter-priority for racing shots, I do like to experiment a bit with manual settings, having learned on a manual camera all those years ago. The current pocket 'snapshot' duty is held by a little Canon Ixus, but I've been mulling this over since last August, and it's driving me crackers (and back to film! ).

01-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about your *istD. You may be able to find a used one on this forum.

However, you won't go wrong with the K20, but size wise it is bulky compared to the *istD. The K-7 is more compact. K20/K-7 image quality is about the same. The K-7 feels better in my hands and has even more features (which you may or may not use).

Neither has TTL flash as your *istD has/had.
01-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed a dead legend of a camera...
Welcome to the forum though, and I hope you'll enjoy your time here.
In looking for a camera to replace yours, depending on your budget, you have the fine options of the K10D, K20D and K-7. Have a look through this forum's camera review database for more information on each.

As Ole says, the only handicap with these newer cameras is that the only auto flash allowed is P-TTL, requiring you to invest in a P-TTL capable flashgun to permit this auto exposure feature in flash photography.
01-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Inactive Account

The K20 is indeed chunkier which suits some people (myself included).

The disadvantage relative to the K7 is that it is now out of production so the price if anything will go up whereas the K7 is comming down, so the K7 is starting to look like very good value in comparison.

Last edited by Oggy; 01-16-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Advanced semantics error.
01-17-2010, 04:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ok, thanks chaps.

So, the issue then is slightly broader, since I have a Sigma flash unit, which will now need to be replaced too - I'd been concentrating on the cameras themselves, and hadn't spotted that. As for availability and price, I noticed that the K20 had gone back over 600, but I'd put that down to the VAT change we just had. Some dealers hereabouts are only quoting for the K-x and K7, with the K20 disappearing from the listings, so if I want a new one, it looks like I'll have to be quick! The K10 has already vanished from all the websites I've visited.

If the general consensus is that facilities-wise they're very close, I think I'll just have to try them both "in hand" and see which size/weight suits best. I'll probably take my Tokina lens along, just to ensure compatibility.

Anything else I need to gen up on before I go and have a prod?

---
Liz
01-17-2010, 05:05 AM   #6

Sigma Flash

Hi Liz,

sorry about the istD, a cracking camera. After I upgraded to K10 / K20 combo i had mine converted to IR and still enjoy using it.

Anyway ... I have a Sigma DG500 super flash and it will work with K10 / K20 and presumibly K7 but needs a firmware upgrade from Sigma.

They did mine free - just paid p&p of 5 I think. That was about 18 months ago. They could do nothing with my non-dg 500 ST though.

I have not even held a K7 but just love the K10 / K20 ergonomics - especially with grips fitted. I have UK size 7 hands as a comparison.

Enjoy your photography - Bill
01-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #7

In my opion, you have an embarrassment of choices. If you like the two-wheel system you would love either the K20d or the K7d. If you think you would enjoy one wheel, the Km is getting very good reports.

Whichever you get, you'll be excited. I started with the IstD, and it just died, but image stablization is great, the faster speed for saving files is wonderful, and, for me, the improved metering is good. Video you can stuff.

Two months ago I bought a K20d for $600 and I'm happy.
01-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
I must admit I like the twin wheel setup, and I've been using it for a long time now - since the Z1, and the introduction of HyperManual. The ability to hit the green button for a quick suggested exposure, and follow it up with a quick twitch of the wheel to get the result I want, is what helped sell me on that camera at the time.

---
Liz

01-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
cool magic eye, have not seen one of those for a while :P
01-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redshift Quote
Hello all, this is pretty much my first post here after a quick intro in the 'welcome' section. Sorry it's about a problem, but there you go!

Here I am then, 6 years later, with a dead camera. I've had a search around and found this thread, which indicates a similar problem, but like all true hypochondriacs, I have to say that mine is much worse!

I sent the camera back to Pentax UK's repair centre at Johnson's, and they basically said it's a blown sensor and is irreparable. I know that given time and patience, I might find another *istD with, say, a shutter problem, and could maybe make one good one out of two scrappers, but in the meantime, I'm down one DSLR.
SONY sensor defect... and they have been replaced free of charge for years. Actually just (well last year)sent a friends P&S back to Canon for same problem.
Canon replaced free of charge......... after warranty period even.. Go figure....
Regardless of whether the problem is one or more of the above, or something else entirely, the important thing to note is that the manufacturers are doing an admirable job of standing behind their products. In every advisory that's been issued to date, the company involved has stated that it will fix the problem regardless of warranty status of the affected cameras. Not only is this good news for customers who own affected cameras, but it is certainly encouraging for those consumers buying new cameras today and in the future. And to reiterate... We are assured that current and recent models are not affected by this sensor problem.
Widespread CCD problems in consumer imaging products
Now yours could not be this but if it looks like that it most likely is..... Never heard of it in a DSLR though.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-17-2010 at 10:41 AM.
01-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

aside from the issues raised by others on the sensor defect, if you are going to get another camera, with the same control features and size of th e*istD, then the K7 is the way to go.

Actually more positive feel on the grip.

I don't see any legacy lenses in your line up so loss of TTL flash is not a killer
01-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
cool magic eye, have not seen one of those for a while :P
Heh. Funnily enough, somebody on another forum suggested I simply continue taking pictures with it, build up a good portfolio, and then put in for FRPS...
01-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You like the "D"? Buy mine on eBay. I'm the original owner. It is in mint condition.

Dan
01-19-2010, 01:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Some people expend great effort and expense to get images that colourful and exotic! You now have an art-producing machine! Cherish it!
01-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #15

Original Poster
An update

Well, I finally did it. After nearly 6 months reading reviews, agonising about features, and cost, and everything else, I finally plumped for

<fanfare>

The K20D!

</fanfare>

I know, I know: It's the older model, it doesn't have this, that and the other, but I didn't need to look at the manual to get started, it fitted straight into my hand like an old friend, and that's what I was after. It works nicely with the Tokina lens that I use, I don't need video, and ultimately the premium for getting the K7 (currently a shade under 500) just wasn't worth it for me - that's the price of a nice lens.

So, search over, until the next upgrade.