Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 noise banding

I spotted this problem with my k7 in the last couple of weeks. When I shoot the camera for a couple of hours, banding patterns start to appear in high noise pictures (>ISO1600). Using liveview seems to exacerbate the problem. Turn it off and let it rest for a while and turn it back on, pictures seems to be OK again. But using liveview, the same pattern start to appear again . I suspect it's sensor overheating. Does anyone else have the same problem? Should I get a replacement? I really like the handling and the feature set, and I hate to see it go because of this.

ISO1600

ISO3200

ISO6400

01-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Yes, it's sensor overheating. I don't think there is anything you can do but be aware of it and work around it. Just make sure your firmware is up to date, I'm not sure if there have been any to improve this issue.
01-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does it happen at low ISO's also?
Am I hallucinating I don't know but I can see same banding pattern at 1600 ISO too but very very faintly.
01-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I can see it at 1600 as well.

01-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, it starts at 1600 and gets worse with higher iso. I've seen other banding patterns from k10 and k20 at high iso, but they are more evenly distributed and nothing like these wide fixed streaking bands.

Last edited by cyy47; 01-16-2010 at 02:59 PM.
01-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Does that banding shows at same place every time? And how many shoots do you take in Live View before they show? It is certainly related to sensor heating, but normaly it should take quite a time to warm the sensor in Live View to start showing banding. I had similar banding on my first K-7, but there were two lines also, one green, one purple, and they were showing almoust immidiatly, even when I was not using Live View. Eventualy, I sent my camera to Pentax and did get the replacement as they concluded it had faulty sensor.
01-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jadran Quote
Does that banding shows at same place every time? And how many shoots do you take in Live View before they show? It is certainly related to sensor heating, but normaly it should take quite a time to warm the sensor in Live View to start showing banding. I had similar banding on my first K-7, but there were two lines also, one green, one purple, and they were showing almoust immidiatly, even when I was not using Live View. Eventualy, I sent my camera to Pentax and did get the replacement as they concluded it had faulty sensor.
Thanks for your info. The bands show up in the same position every time, usually right after liveview, regardless of usage time. But for still shots only, it took a couple of hours for the bands to show up. Maybe I do have a faulty sensor.
01-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by cyy47 Quote
Thanks for your info. The bands show up in the same position every time, usually right after liveview, regardless of usage time. But for still shots only, it took a couple of hours for the bands to show up. Maybe I do have a faulty sensor.

Well, banding certainly should not show up right after using Live View. Try to update to new firmware, same of those problems that people had with sensor (lines and banding) were solved with later iterations of firmware.

01-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jadran Quote
Well, banding certainly should not show up right after using Live View. Try to update to new firmware, same of those problems that people had with sensor (lines and banding) were solved with later iterations of firmware.
The firmware is up to date. These bands look different from the earlier green line issue too. I'm going to get it replaced anyhow. When so many different features are packed into such a compact body, overheating is bound to become a problem.
01-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by cyy47 Quote
The firmware is up to date. These bands look different from the earlier green line issue too. I'm going to get it replaced anyhow. When so many different features are packed into such a compact body, overheating is bound to become a problem.
Right. Overheating is problem, but shouldn't be in normal use. Try to ask for replacement, the camera I've got as replacement is just perfect and I am enjoining it. It would be pity that such problems ruin the joy of using this beautiful camera!