Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 58
K-7: Program shift on e-dial

The Sv and P modes allow "Program shift" on the e-dial. There is no mention of what really changes when the dial is flipped. Does it walk through the different program line modes, or does it go through different combinations of Av/Tv speeds according to the program line set. I'm guessing the behavior is the latter.

It seems to me that there should have been a quick way to flip through the program line -- like say, pick an unused button, click "trash" button, use dial to move through the program line modes.

Any thoughts on this?

01-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Damn Brit
Guest




Moved to DSLR forum.
01-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,676
QuoteOriginally posted by K7er Quote
The Sv and P modes allow "Program shift" on the e-dial. There is no mention of what really changes when the dial is flipped. Does it walk through the different program line modes, or does it go through different combinations of Av/Tv speeds according to the program line set. I'm guessing the behavior is the latter.

It seems to me that there should have been a quick way to flip through the program line -- like say, pick an unused button, click "trash" button, use dial to move through the program line modes.

Any thoughts on this?
Program shift doesn't shift Program lines. In P-mode, if you move the front dial the camera acts like it is in Tv mode. If you move the rear dial, it changes your aperture (camera goes into Av mode).

I agree, I'd love to access the Program lines with a button.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-23-2010 at 10:29 AM.
01-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Program shift doesn't shift Program lines. In P-mode, if you move the front dial the camera acts like it is in Sv mode. If you move the rear dial, it changes your aperture (camera goes into Av mode).
What you describe is HyperProgram (except it's Tv on the the front dial, not Sv).

Program shift goes through the aperture/shutter speed combinations that are equivalent to the metered one in P mode. Ex. from f/5.6 & 1/60s, one click will get you to f/8.0 & 1/30s (or f/4.0 & 1/125s depending on the direction you rotated the e-dial). The green button returns you to the metered settings. You remain in P mode all the time, contrary to HyperProgram.

I must admit I'm not sure what difference it really makes in practice, if any.

01-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,676
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
What you describe is HyperProgram (except it's Tv on the the front dial, not Sv).

Program shift goes through the aperture/shutter speed combinations that are equivalent to the metered one in P mode. Ex. from f/5.6 & 1/60s, one click will get you to f/8.0 & 1/30s (or f/4.0 & 1/125s depending on the direction you rotated the e-dial). The green button returns you to the metered settings. You remain in P mode all the time, contrary to HyperProgram.

I must admit I'm not sure what difference it really makes in practice, if any.
Thanks, I edited the typo in my post to minimize the confusion.

I don't see any reference in the K20D manual to "Program Shift". As far as I know, Hyper-program and Program Shift are different terms for the same feature, with Hyper-program as the official Pentax terminology.
01-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't see any reference in the K20D manual to "Program Shift". As far as I know, Hyper-program and Program Shift are different terms for the same feature, with Hyper-program as the official Pentax terminology.
Indeed, I can't find a reference to it in the manual. But check options 3 & 4 of custom setting "20. e-dial in Program" custom setting.
01-24-2010, 05:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,741
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
As far as I know, Hyper-program and Program Shift are different terms for the same feature, with Hyper-program as the official Pentax terminology.
Program-shift and Hyper-program are two different features. As told above there is a custom setting to choose between using hyper-program or program-shift.

In program-shift you shift both aperture and shutter speed, and if lightning changes the camera changes both.
In hyper-program you control either aperture or shutter speed and the camera only changes the one you don't control.
If lightning changes the aperture or shutter speed you have chosen is locked and the camera changes the other one.

I can not see any advantage in using program-shift instead of hyper-program.
The result will be the same with both, but it is much easier to control the settings i hyper-program.
01-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I can not see any advantage in using program-shift instead of hyper-program.
The result will be the same with both, but it is much easier to control the settings i hyper-program.
The advantage is that you can then use the other dial for something else — EV compensation or ISO, for example.

Another thing to note is that when you use P-shift and the light changes, the program keeps the aperture and shutter speed close to where you have it. I use the depth-of-field program line, but when I want a generally more shallow DOF and/or faster shutter speeds, a twist of the dial does it. Or if I care more exactly, I switch to Av or Tv. (Or sometimes TAv.)

01-24-2010, 05:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,741
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The advantage is that you can then use the other dial for something else — EV compensation or ISO, for example.
It is only possible to set the other dial as EV compensation in program-shift.
As the camera already has an dedicated button for EV comp I don't see that as enough advantage to give up hyper-program.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
button, camera, dslr, e-dial, line, modes, photography, program
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stuck dial on my Program Plus filmamigo Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 03-14-2011 05:44 AM
Help with Super Program/Program A and TTL Flash tendim Pentax Film SLR Discussion 9 09-09-2009 07:01 PM
program a iso dial.... echospace Pentax Film SLR Discussion 3 07-30-2009 07:18 PM
Does anybody know how to fix the ASA/ISO dial on a Super Program? pasipasi Pentax Film SLR Discussion 1 08-26-2008 03:01 PM
Tilt/Shift and Shift lens Thingo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 11-16-2006 05:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top