Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 06:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Not so bad, K-7

I had the opportunity a few weeks ago to see the output from a 1D-s MkIII used by my colleague for a professional print job for newsprint. The setting was a normal home with the lighting on the dimmer side so he used ISO 1250. This is real life.
I would have thought this was no match for the Canon. But when you put his jpeg side by side with the output from my K-7 at ISO 1250 in similar conditions - it's a tie! Actually, if you look at magnification 100% the K-7 wins. If you compare the K-7 at 100 to the 1D-s at 70 % (the same print size) it's a tie.
I have no reason to doubt my colleague/competitor knows how to PP.

Just made me feel a little better about my investments. Also, it dampened my hopes for an imminent upgrade of the K-7. It's quite good already when it comes to IQ.
The AF and button arrangment issues remain. But that's another story.

01-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good for you.
The K-7 is never in doubt of being an awesome camera - we human beings just like to push the envelope to the limits of the technology available commercially, and want to believe we have the best in our hands.

Although it is tough to compare a multi-thousand dollar FF camera to that of a mid-range APS-C camera.
01-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow, that is sure hard to believe. Here is 800 ISO. Guess which is the K-7 and which is the 1DsMkIII? If you would have said you couldn't tell the difference at a normal print size of say 4x6 or something, I could believe it. This is just a screen capture below. The difference is greater if you look at the actual images.
Attached Images

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-17-2010 at 02:22 PM.
01-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Nubi

The thing is that I see what some people complain about, and when I see that it seems that the complaints are legit. Then when I print them, something weird happens. It looks great. More film like. Color rendition seems just right, somewhere between K10 and K20. Personally, I think that it is a pretty good sensor. To be able to fine tune it like that..... I consider it an accomplishment certainly deserving of more praise.

01-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
The thing is that I see what some people complain about, and when I see that it seems that the complaints are legit. Then when I print them, something weird happens. It looks great. More film like. Color rendition seems just right, somewhere between K10 and K20. Personally, I think that it is a pretty good sensor. To be able to fine tune it like that..... I consider it an accomplishment certainly deserving of more praise.
Yes I agree that the output from pretty much any APS-C camera is going to look very similar (and good) when printing at standard print sizes. The thing I don't believe though is that at 100% crop, any APS-C camera looks as good as a 21 MP FF camera. (unless we have our Pentax goggles on. )
01-19-2010, 02:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
Wishful thinking, eh? No I'm as surprised as anyone. Below the EOS at 70 % and two K-7 images at 100% (matching print size):

and all three at 100 %:

Unscientific of course but nevertheless - same ISO 1250, no noise reduction, same level of lighting, approximately matching tonal scale.
What it shows, if anything, is that full frame is not a cure-all.
01-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well it seems everyone really likes there K-7 so I ordered me one Sunday.. It should be here Thursday, I hope I cane use the LCD to focus better than I could with the Eyecup on my K20d, My eyes are getting pretty bad.

One Question::
Does anyone know if the
Pentax - Remote Control F
Pentax - O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup
Pentax - K-AC50U AC Adapter
Jueying - Cable Switch
From my K20d will work on the K7, before I sell them?
01-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Well it seems everyone really likes there K-7 so I ordered me one Sunday.. It should be here Thursday, I hope I cane use the LCD to focus better than I could with the Eyecup on my K20d, My eyes are getting pretty bad.

One Question::
Does anyone know if the
Pentax - Remote Control F
Pentax - O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup
Pentax - K-AC50U AC Adapter
Jueying - Cable Switch
From my K20d will work on the K7, before I sell them?
It will all work on the K-7.

01-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #9

Original Poster
AF (the phase-based version) works quite well in Live View on non-moving subjects (and not at all on moving) if you don't mind the noise and the delay. Shoot now, look later.
01-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks Guys