Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #16

how the f... !! can Hoya accept this feature not working properly ?
Mine was really off several degrees and the other camera in the shop I tried as well. They said in Belgium importers office that they will correct it with software . Keep you posted when I got the camera back next week if they manage or not. PENTAX YOU HAVE TO DELIVER !!!!!!!!!!!
I doubt it but you never know...
Ricoh got it right (I do have a RICOH GRD)

03-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One of the things I wrote in a thread awhile back about Pentax K-7 wishlist was for a electronic leveling adjust in a future firmware, something similar to the lens adjustment for BF and FF for lenses. However this doesn't bother me much as I don't even use it or pay attention to it, but it'd be nice to at least know that this feature works properly.
03-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #18

is there anyone who very seriously checked their electronic level and found it to be o.k. ?
I am afraid that most people don`t check it on a tripod and just let pentax get away with this bug .
Hope it can be callibrated. Any experience from anyone with the NIKON D300S or D700 electronic function ??
03-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
is there anyone who very seriously checked their electronic level and found it to be o.k. ?
I am afraid that most people don`t check it on a tripod and just let pentax get away with this bug .
Hope it can be callibrated. Any experience from anyone with the NIKON D300S or D700 electronic function ??
Mine works fine, I use it all the time to do horizon pictures on Lake Champlain. It matches up perfectly with the real horizon of the lake.

03-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #20

hI Goreman,

This gives me hope !
Apart from this bug the camera is a dream come true. Street Photographer with 24mm/2.8 sigma super wide AF lens. The most compact fast set available with this focal length that I love so much (35MM film equivalent)
03-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #21

Pentax K7 back today from benelux importer "De beukelaere" in Belgium and they callibrated the electronic level to PERFECT level.
Just wonderfull done and spot on . So don`t think the electronic level in your displays (all 3 of them) cannot work spot on as THEY CAN !!!!
Especially in the viewfinder it is such a wonderfull feature that saves you from PP and losing the perfect edge of your pictures that you saw through your 100% viewfinder of the K7. Compliment to the service of PENTAX.
03-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would think that given the number of folks that have found their cameras to be off, that Pentax would easily put in a manual adjustment, where by you set the camera level and push the [OK] button, and a bias is saved and applied. It certainly would be simple, and save a lot of returned units. I would think that this could be slid into a firmware update.
04-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #23

[langtitle=nl]forward tilt electronic level LIMIT[/langtitle]

When I make a picture with the lens pointing downwards more than approx 45 degrees the electronic level indicator does not show the level anymore.
It show blinking blocks . Is this a failure or standard ?
Thanks for comments

04-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #24
Banned

personally, I really dont see the big problem. why is everyone relying on it like its essential? if it werent even available you wouldnt be complaining about it being missing and you would be happily shooting away, apparently very capable of taking at least semi-accurately leveled photos. but now, no... its less of a camera, and you take less quality photos! I know im being an ass here, but as mentioned, the level is only meant to be a guide. honestly, if you absolutely need a level, you either need to buy an actual level or you need a new hobby. im certainly biased, using manual focus lenses, but I see this as the same as the introduction of AF, it just serves as one more reason for people to complain, and blame their equipment instead of actually using it to take photos.
04-05-2010, 02:07 AM   #25
Banned

When I make a picture with the lens pointing downwards more than approx 45 degrees the electronic level indicator does not show the level anymore.
It show blinking blocks . Is this a failure or standard ?
Thanks for comments
it is not designed to indicate forward or backwards tilt.
04-05-2010, 05:01 AM   #26

I know I know I know. Don`t be rude with me. I know what the electronic level is for and how to use it but .... I just want to know if it is only my camera start blinking when tilted with lens downwards or it is everybody`s camera doing this. Just curious that`s all.
04-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
personally, I really dont see the big problem. why is everyone relying on it like its essential? if it werent even available you wouldnt be complaining about it being missing and you would be happily shooting away, apparently very capable of taking at least semi-accurately leveled photos. but now, no... its less of a camera, and you take less quality photos! [...]
It's disappointing, because it's theoretically a very useful feature. That last 1% can be hard to notice when you're focusing on a subject and other aspects taking the photograph, but when you get back home, the tilted horizon is obvious. As I noted earlier, rotating the image in post-processing has the side effect of lightly blurring the entire image — even when you're using RAW, it's a destructive operation (to your output, of course). So it's a nice feature.

I just got my camera back from having sent it in to have this straightened out, pun intended. Will test a little bit and see how it works now.
04-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
It's disappointing, because it's theoretically a very useful feature. That last 1% can be hard to notice when you're focusing on a subject and other aspects taking the photograph, but when you get back home, the tilted horizon is obvious. As I noted earlier, rotating the image in post-processing has the side effect of lightly blurring the entire image — even when you're using RAW, it's a destructive operation (to your output, of course). So it's a nice feature.

I just got my camera back from having sent it in to have this straightened out, pun intended. Will test a little bit and see how it works now.
so what would happen before you had the k-7? you were incapable of taking the photo horizontally straight enough? under almost all conditions for which the straightest possible horizon is necessary, you would be using a tripod (with I assume has a level, as most tripods have one)

I wont argue that its a handy feature, but I just think its a bit overkill to complain about its less than 100% accuracy as if it would be nigh impossible to take a level photo without it. in short, I think people are making too big a deal out of it.
04-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I know I know I know. Don`t be rude with me. I know what the electronic level is for and how to use it but .... I just want to know if it is only my camera start blinking when tilted with lens downwards or it is everybody`s camera doing this. Just curious that`s all.
it's normal.
04-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
so what would happen before you had the k-7? you were incapable of taking the photo horizontally straight enough? under almost all conditions for which the straightest possible horizon is necessary, you would be using a tripod (with I assume has a level, as most tripods have one)
What happened before we had containers to hold water in? We used our hands to drink or we lapped from the water source like animals!

I like new tools. I don't need to depend on them to appreciate them. My K-7's electronic level works perfectly, and I make use of it frequently. The K3 focusing screen I use has rule-of-thirds lines carved into it which are nearly invisible in bright daylight, so sometimes it's hard to gauge the straightness of a shot, especially when there's a mountain range curving upwards near the edges of the shot. By relying on the electronic level, I get a straight shot every time.

My tripod has a bubble level. It's inaccurate. Besides, I don't want to whip out the tripod everytime I want a level shot.