Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #31

GOREMAN,
That is the kind of answer I was expecting to my question . Not those long and useless stories from others.
" It is normal " You see THAT is at least an answer !
Anyone else tried this pointing down the lens and see for the electronic level to work (or not) ??

04-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
GOREMAN,
That is the kind of answer I was expecting to my question . Not those long and useless stories from others.
" It is normal " You see THAT is at least an answer !
Anyone else tried this pointing down the lens and see for the electronic level to work (or not) ??
It's the same idea as a normal bubble level. Once you tilt it forward more than 45 degrees, it stops working. The camera detects this and just disables the level.

I think the 645D has a new dual-level system that detects side-to-side and front-back level, but the K-7 does not.
04-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
so what would happen before you had the k-7? you were incapable of taking the photo horizontally straight enough?
Errr, yes. That's what I said before. And here I am, a few post later, still not ashamed to admit it. Particularly when you're interested in something else -- the smile on a child's face, for example -- keeping the horizon straight is easy to miss, but can still look disorienting in the final results.

under almost all conditions for which the straightest possible horizon is necessary, you would be using a tripod (with I assume has a level, as most tripods have one)
I doubt I would be using a tripod. My tripod would almost certainly be in the closet, where it spends 99.999% of its time.

I wont argue that its a handy feature, but I just think its a bit overkill to complain about its less than 100% accuracy as if it would be nigh impossible to take a level photo without it. in short, I think people are making too big a deal out of it.
The point is, for the feature to be useful at all, it has to be within a small fraction of a degree of dead-on. And since the feature has promise to be actually helpful, it's fair to be disappointed.
04-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please do disable the forum translation system if you plan on posting in English- you can do so by going to your User CP options and setting your default language to English. Thanks!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
personally, I really dont see the big problem. why is everyone relying on it like its essential? if it werent even available you wouldnt be complaining about it being missing and you would be happily shooting away, apparently very capable of taking at least semi-accurately leveled photos. but now, no... its less of a camera, and you take less quality photos! I know im being an ass here, but as mentioned, the level is only meant to be a guide. honestly, if you absolutely need a level, you either need to buy an actual level or you need a new hobby. im certainly biased, using manual focus lenses, but I see this as the same as the introduction of AF, it just serves as one more reason for people to complain, and blame their equipment instead of actually using it to take photos.
An electronic approximation is no better than an eyeball approximation.

I have a K100D and a K20D, and both have a misaligned sensor/viewfinder. I have to remind myself to hold the right side up a bit when shooting - how much is a guess.

Not so with the Canon P&S's and film cameras I have had.

I was kind of happy to hear Pentax put something in the camera to help - unfortunately, it seems not to.

If they can't physically put parts together and aligned properly, it would be nice if there was some faint line across the viewfinder, or tick marks on the sides of it, that you could adjust to set the horizon to your liking, and not some variable electronic thing making a guess.

The easiest thing I have found is the levelling tool in Elements, quite frankly.
05-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Mine is pretty accurate all the time.
05-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I should add that mine came back from free warranty service perfectly accurate. So I'd urge anyone with a complaint to send the camera in.
06-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #38
Inactive Account

K7- electronic level indicator error on YT

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io-qiXxIoHY[/YT]

06-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #39
JHD
Veteran Member

Hopefully that's something that can be fixed in the firmware, but if you know how much it is out, then you can compensate accordingly.
06-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #40

As in the clip this was exactly what was wrong with my electronic level and fixed when sent back to the importer in Belgium. It came back perfectly calibrated.
My suggestion is to send it back to the dealer and have it fixed as this is 100% possible
Too bad Pentax does not get these otherwise so good camera`s out with this trouble
01-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #41
Site Supporter

This just in....

I just noticed today that when the Electronic Level is on, push the INFO button twice and you get a display in the large, back LCD. This is without having the camera in Live View and the display is a circle the size of a quarter with a line through it.
Like many others I do not find the level feature all that useful but some may appreciate this Easter Egg. The display is red when the camera is drastically off center of axis, then turns amber until center and green. The display will remain on until the shutter button is at least half pressed.

Please excuse my amazing powers of observation if this information is less than earth shattering.
You may now continue your search for more interesting diversions.
01-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #42
Site Supporter

It was one of the latest FW upgrade things. I find it very handy at night time on a tri-pod in the dark.
And it is at least as accurate as the bubbles on my manfrotto.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-20-2011 at 05:45 PM.
01-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #43
Site Supporter

It appears I have only version 1.1. Is this what you mean? The feature was not in the original programing?
And that is how I discovered the feature as well. The camera was tripod mounted and I was pushing buttons to see different displays. Viola!
01-26-2011, 01:20 AM   #44
Pentaxian

What I have noticed ior me it is helpful and is that, when you tilt camera a litlea abit up or down compared to level straight so that horizon is just in midle of screen it is easy to confuse this system. it is most easily seen , when using tripod.

In my K-7 this feature works just fine, and I have used it mostly, when i want to rechek horizon/subject, ect, but I work it out with my eye aided by eletronical feat...it's just machine.
01-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #45

Must admit, I've never tried the feature. I think that as long as the image is pleasing to the eye and mounts well in a frame, you've won. Suppose if you are doing graphic stuff, could be important.
Wonder if we would have noticed if Ansel Adams had one leg shorter than the other..
Hope you work it out!