Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
It appears I have only version 1.1. Is this what you mean? The feature was not in the original programing?
And that is how I discovered the feature as well. The camera was tripod mounted and I was pushing buttons to see different displays. Viola!
The last FW upgrade 1.10, before the one for SDXC.
And no, it was not in the original programming.

02-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #47
Inactive Account

O my god can not belive the fuss over the level you will want it to make you a cup of tea while your composing the photo next.
02-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by tenerifepentax Quote
O my god can not belive the fuss over the level you will want it to make you a cup of tea while your composing the photo next.
IMHO if it's there, it should work. If it doesn't, and you count on it to, then you have a choice. Live with it or have it fixed. If you wouldn't want to get it fixed, that's fine. I have a different opinion.
02-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
is there anyone who very seriously checked their electronic level and found it to be o.k. ?
I am afraid that most people don`t check it on a tripod and just let pentax get away with this bug .
Hope it can be callibrated. Any experience from anyone with the NIKON D300S or D700 electronic function ??
Bjan,

I've bought a K-7: level was and is Ok!
I've bought a K-5: level was off, camera was send to De Beukelaer in Belgium, I spoke with the repair people there.
They fixed it properly. They have "special" Pentax software to calibrate the camera levels.

I guess we must ask the Polish gentleman who wrote the K-7/5 thethering software to have a look at this problem and write us an utility of calibrate the camera ourselves.

- Bert

02-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
I guess we must ask the Polish gentleman who wrote the K-7/5 thethering software to have a look at this problem and write us an utility of calibrate the camera ourselves.
I'm actually kind of surprised that Pentax didn't include that in the K-5, if not a K-7 firmware update. It doesn't seem very hard!
02-25-2011, 03:28 AM   #51

Photos: Albums
I guess I was just lucky, mine is perfect (I think). I say I think because I haven't done a sophisticated test, but since I take a lot of landscape photos (the ocean) I use it. Before I started relying on it I found a good percentage of my shots tilted and had to fix them. I agree that Elements (8) is very useful for this. I've spent a lot of mornings before sunrise or evenings after sunset setting up my tripod and find the viewfinder or LCD screen too dark to be certain the camera is level. I've used the level in all three places on the camera with success, and would be disappointed if it weren't there or unreliable.

It's good to know it can be calibrated in case the accuracy degrades.

Bill
02-25-2011, 03:51 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tenerifepentax Quote
O my gawd I can not beleev the fuss people make over other people simply noting features (which the company brags about, and which are part of what they thought they had paid for) that don't work as advertised. If a thread doesn't interest you, it's damned silly even reading it, much less posting in it.