Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #1

K-7 electronic level

Been trying out my new K-7 for about a day now, and it just keeps bugging me: either something is wrong with the electronic level measurement or something relly messed up in my head....

Just did some testing with a "carpenter's" level --> put the K-7 on top of the level and set the level:
a) at the correct carpenter's level
b) at the 'correct' measured electronic level of the K-7.

It seems that the electronic level is tilted by 2 degrees to the right... Am I the only one with this problem? I haven't found any option where I could fix this problem..

If this measurement is also used to correct the 1 degree rotation (horizon correction), than this would be useless (and wrongly used!) with my device. What should I do?

Last edited by gavro; 01-17-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typos
01-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm interesting, after reading this I decided to do some tests for myself. I decided to do some rigorous testing and it seems my K-7 is 1 bar too much to the right, well it seems to blink back and forth from 1 bar to 2 bars when I hold it accurately straight, however if I tilt it to the left a tiny bit, it stops. So maybe 0.5 bars inaccurate to the right is more like it. Not too big enough to be a problem for me, I think I can live with it.
01-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I have the same problem - 3 degrees to the left.

Yes I can disable this function and live without it or remember to correct indication.
But why should I pay for this?
01-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A builders' level? I don't think they are all that accurate.

Can you see the sea? Level the camera with your camera's level on a tripod. Take a picture and check it.

01-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
I will do some more testing tomorrow. I used a spirit level (Stabila Type 83S), and it is quite accurate though, nevertheless: when testing with some photo's inhouse all 'leveled' photographs are quite off...

My house may not be entirely level, but from every viewpoint, from every angle, the level is always off to the same direction...

I live in The Hague, if/when I find the time I will try out your suggestion.
01-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
A builders' level? I don't think they are all that accurate.

Can you see the sea? Level the camera with your camera's level on a tripod. Take a picture and check it.
I was thinking that as well.
Thanks for the tip about the sea.
01-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

K-7 level

I was wondering,were their any ferrous metal objects (magnetic) close by? steel,iron
Try moving something made of these materials around the camera
see if it causes display to react.
ie. a hammer,pliers,screwdriver...something like that
am interested in the results

01-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Forum Member

I turned my level off after the first couple of days when I discovered the exposure meter was not visible in 'M' manual mode when the electronic level was on.

I too wondered how accurate it was - I'll check mine tomorrow.
01-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Doesn't surprise me that the level may be off a few degrees considering the entire time I owned my K10D, the photos had a slight rightward lean to them when developed...even when my tripod was dead level. If the level in the K-7 compensates for the lean of the sensor, as long as the photos are level, that's all I care about.

Jason
01-18-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
a couple things to keep in mind:

- the electronic level is meant as a guide, not a perfectly accurate horizon. Even the best levels have a degree of inaccuracy, it's normal. Heck, I've noticed the level shifting around a bit when wind blows on the camera, even though the camera isn't moving one iota.

- the SR feature moves the sensor around, including rotation on the K-7. There may be some unwanted rotation added by the SR in order to accomodate any movement it might have detected.

I find the electronic level to be a brilliant feature which has helped me correct slanted lines in my pictures BEFORE I press the shutter button. But I only depend on it when the horizon isn't actually visible. Otherwise, I use the horizon to base my composition on.
01-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #11

Original Poster
Here are two pictures I took today (exif info still present) during a 'quick' lunch, both showing 1.5 degree rotation in de sensor.

I've used a tripod, set the level as good as I could on the camera, horizon correction was on. I haven't had time to do some more testing (set the level of the horizon, with and without horizon correction, etc) as my boss really wouldn't like that today....

SR was off btw.
Attached Images

03-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #12

bought a K7 yesterday. Brought it back today (in netherlands) because of not proper working electronic level. Needed at least 2 little blocks on the right side. (had to lift right side up a bit) to get level picture. As well in live view as where the leveler is more sensible as in viewfinder .
Useless feature this way. Dealer send it back to Belgium importer.
There was an other camera in the shop with same problem
03-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #13

I returned my first K-7 because of this level problem and sadly the replacement was just as far off.

I had made a previous post about this with no response.

I am under the impression many are defective in this way.
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax K-7 with Built in off levelling feature, to give your shots that authentic hand held look!
03-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #15

Sad that so may are off. This is one of my favorite features. Mine extremely accurate most of the time (0.3 degrees) but not always. As someone suggested maybe it is affected by something in the environment, magnetic fields maybe... in some locations it could not get perfectly level

- Itai
Neoluminance | Fine Art Photography by Itai Danan