Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k-7 level correction

An interesting point abouit the electronic levelling function in the K-7: saw a test in a UK mag that with it on, it makes the inbuilt SR somewhat useless. Anyone experienced this/back this up?

01-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Please explain. I've always kept both of them on, and there's no way the SR isn't having any effects.
01-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #3

I think they're talking about the composition adjustment feature. You can adjust the framing and tilt slightly by using the camera's SR system to adjust the sensor position. This, of course, will disable the SR from compensating for image shake. However, the feature is meant to be used when the camera is on the tripod. After all, what would be the point of using the sensor to shift your framing when you could just.. move the camera?
01-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
I think they're talking about the composition adjustment feature. You can adjust the framing and tilt slightly by using the camera's SR system to adjust the sensor position. This, of course, will disable the SR from compensating for image shake. However, the feature is meant to be used when the camera is on the tripod. After all, what would be the point of using the sensor to shift your framing when you could just.. move the camera?

Duh! Of course composition adjust is for tripod use! What kind of dope are they on?

01-18-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder how you could use the composition adjustment feature while hand holding? It would be pretty difficult to say the least.
01-18-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Errrm no. I'm not referring to composition adjustment. I'm referring to the automatic horizon correction feature. Has anyone noticed SR working significantly better with it off rather than on.

-Nass
01-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Duh! Of course composition adjust is for tripod use! What kind of dope are they on?
Anyone can write a website, it takes more than that ability to disseminate good information.

01-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Errrm no. I'm not referring to composition adjustment. I'm referring to the automatic horizon correction feature. Has anyone noticed SR working significantly better with it off rather than on.

-Nass
No surprise there, since both functions are using sensor movement to do their work.
I imagine using both would be like asking your car to go forwards and backwards at the same time.
01-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
No surprise there, since both functions are using sensor movement to do their work.
I imagine using both would be like asking your car to go forwards and backwards at the same time.
Yeah - exactly what I thought, it makes perfect sense.
01-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

Hmmm, I 'm not sure about that Wheatfield. Sounds more to me like asking your car to go forward and make a left turn at the same time. Wouldn't horizon correction be z-axis but SR would still work in x and y-axis?
01-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Hmmm, I 'm not sure about that Wheatfield. Sounds more to me like asking your car to go forward and make a left turn at the same time. Wouldn't horizon correction be z-axis but SR would still work in x and y-axis?
Hmmmmmmmmmm, not sure I'm seeing how SR would be Z axis - that the only one that's irrellevant surely? Why would Zxis matter. Anyhow here are scans of what I was talking about:

01-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hmmmmmmmmmm, not sure I'm seeing how SR would be Z axis - that the only one that's irrellevant surely? Why would Zxis matter. Anyhow here are scans of what I was talking about:
That's a very incompetent test and very vague as to exactly what they were testing and at which focal lengths. *All* other tests I've read measure stabilization in terms of how many stops of improvement you could expect--when compared to the usual rule of thumb of 1/(focal length) s, for example.
01-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

K-7 level

Why do aircraft still rely on alchohol filled vials to indicate "artificial horizon"?
I'm interested in up-grading to a K-7 but until I have some answers to
several issues I have with it, will not do so
01-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kinda tragic that Pentax has comfortably the least effective SR. Backs up what a lot of people have already written about of course. Anyhow, these people are pretty objective, it's useful to know to keep that levelling stuff off.
01-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Kinda tragic that Pentax has comfortably the least effective SR.
How do you figure that?