Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #1

k-x problems ?

I just buy it k-x few days ago and noticed something strange at least in low light . I shutted few picture as I usualy like low light- in this case indoor (house) .

Lens type : kit 18-55
Av mode
Aperture 3.5 - zoom 18mm
white balance set G3A2
ISO 800
centred focus
focus setting AF-S
Jpeg

What happent is that when I shot normaly through viewfinder shutter speed is for example 1/13 .

If I switch to LIVE VIEW , altho settings remain the same ( exact settings above, exact location of camera, exact light ,all ! ) shutter speed changes to 1/5 ! and shot twice fast ! , I dont understand why shutter speed changes dramaticaly on Live Mode, the picture light and especialy details zooming the picture are incomparable , the LIVE VIEW mode takes a much better picture focusing exacly the subject! Another thing -Altho focusing with live view exact thing , the focusing through viewfinder fails to focus center altho beep confirmation is present- i noticed (in jpg picture) focuses the lower closer,lighter area- (because of 1/13 speed ,low light ? )

Maybe this is happening because when mirror is up ,added distance from mirror to sensor changes the shutter speed ? If so...this is not good ,thats why focus confirmation comes in viewfinder but in the actual foto fails .

I just dont know if this is normal.. in order to send it back if its a deffect...

ps : I repeat it several time to be sure all settings are the same but same results...

Last edited by crossing; 01-17-2010 at 02:24 PM.
01-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps the thing that changes between viewfinder and live use is the amount of light entering the camera through the viewfinder, and that's what's changing the metering?

I'm afraid I don't understand your question about focusing. Maybe try posting a picture showing whatever you are talking about?
01-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
I discoverd what was ,

first - as Marc Sabatella say , little light gets into camera when Live view mode, and more light when viewfinder mode - so the exposure changes.

second- autowhitebalance mode its more more acurate with LIVE VIEW mode because of direct contact of image with sensor resulting in better picture.

abaut focusing - as I change it values in Manual Model exact as Live Mode set it (also white balance guesed from live mode picture ), focusing gets right.

So Live mode on k-x is very usefull !!