Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #1

Shutter Speed limit on K-x

On my old Nikon D60, I was able to set a Max ISO and Min Shutter Speed when in Program or Av mode. The Max ISO setting is easy enough to adjust, but is there any way to set an Auto Min Shutter Speed on the K-x?

01-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If your in Av mode with auto iso on the Kx it will keep the frame rate above 1/80.

That is untill the iso is at the max and then it will go slower. I don't know if there is any way to limit that 1/80 to higher. ( i don't think so.)

you could shoot in Tv with auto iso and set the shutter speed yourself.

1/80 is plenty for shake free hand held with SR on. (1/60 is imo)

also you could go into P mode and set the dial to change shutter speed. That would do what you want? (with auto iso again)
01-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think Pentax has the same auto ISO functions Nikons do.

With my K10D in auto ISO, the camera will choose the lower shutter speed for me based on the lens (needs to be an A series or newer). So, if my zoom is at 55mm, the camera will use a lower shutter speed of 1/60, if I zoom out to 18mm, the lower shutter speed changes to 1/30. When teh camera is in AV mode, the shutter speed will drop until it hits the lower limit, then the auto ISO will kick in until it hits the upper limit, then the camera will change the shutter speed. The ISO limits are set through the function key. You can set the camera to change ISO from 400 to 800 if you want. I have not used a K-x, but I expect it to be the same.

With the D200, the user sets a lower shutter speed that causes the auto ISO to kick in. Problem though, that it remains fixed with lens changes, the user needs to change the lower shutter limit. The other issue, is that the shutter setting tops out at 1/250, so it does not work well for long lenses.

The two systems are differrent, I'm not sure which I like better.
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, the great thing about pentax is it will set it based on the FL. Unfortunately this doesn't work with manual lenses.

01-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hmm, I'll have to run some tests to see exactly how the K-x behaves. Thanks for all the info!
01-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
If your in Av mode with auto iso on the Kx it will keep the frame rate above 1/80.

That is untill the iso is at the max and then it will go slower. I don't know if there is any way to limit that 1/80 to higher. ( i don't think so.)
There is not. It's an interesting Nikon feature which I stumbled on and found useful when photographing the kid.