Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #46
Forum Member

K10D Maybe!

Well it seems as though I may have opened a can of worms on this debate. The K100's scene modes mean nothing to me have never used them and if I don't move to the K10D never will. I shoot mostly aperture priority and occasionally full manual so I am more interested in the shooting capability of the K10D. I have read that even though the K10D is 10 mega pixel it's pictures are not as sharp as the images from the K100D.

From reading some of the posts in this forum I think the K10 will end up in my bag by the end of the week.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions.

07-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KFrog Quote
I suspect the K100D is better suited for a rookie but I like the features (weather sealed body especially) and the feel of the K10D better. I had a chance to hold one and take a few snaps with it at Houston Camera Exchange in Houston, TX. A little more weight, good grip and a nicer viewer.

I guess my basic question is how complex do you think the K10D really is and should I reconsider the K100D?

Thanks.
You want a K10D and will be disappointed if you get anything else. Face the truth. I did and have never regretted it.

As to the complexity, there are a lot of us who started out with the K1000 years ago with no problem. There were no automatic features and we coped. Chances are that even if you got a K100D, you won't be using the kiddie modes for long. So...why waste money on what you will wind up not using? You have your Canon for point-and-shoot snapshots.

Get the K10D. You will not regret it either.
07-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingsofronin Quote
I actually cant even think of a situation where they would be useful.

If you can think of one, let me know.

They can give the air of superiority by not using them.
07-10-2007, 07:09 AM   #49
Banned

hahahaaaa. cheers.

07-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #50

I want a K10D too. Unfortunately for me my current cameras work perfectly for my needs and I cannot justify an upgrade at this time.

I would LOVE to buy a K10D, but Pentax makes a stellar DSLR line and mine has not started to act up yet(30,000+ pictures). Some of the new long Pentax glass is more appealing to me at the moment.

After looking at many pictures on the web from so many different cameras, I like how the K10D handles colour and produces nice sharp images. This of course is just my opinion as I do not own the camera but have two perfectly working eyes.
07-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #51
Veteran Member

If you have the money for a K10D and it is your first DSLR, then go for it. It does have all the features of the K100d and more. I would suggest that you can still learn with the K10D and start to use the additional features as and when you get more used to the camera.

Also, think of it this way. you Buy a K100D love using it. and in 12months you feel that you could do with the extra functionality the the K10D gives. You then go and spend more more on a new Body.
However if you buy the K10D in the first place and use the features that the K100D has, with the additions as well, you can save money by not upgrading in the first place.

Hope this helps.
07-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
If you have the money for a K10D and it is your first DSLR, then go for it. It does have all the features of the K100d and more. I would suggest that you can still learn with the K10D and start to use the additional features as and when you get more used to the camera.
Also, think of it this way. you Buy a K100D love using it. and in 12months you feel that you could do with the extra functionality the the K10D gives. You then go and spend more more on a new Body.
However if you buy the K10D in the first place and use the features that the K100D has, with the additions as well, you can save money by not upgrading in the first place.
Hope this helps.
I think this is the best piece of advice (ignoring my JPEG comparison comments prior, which most heavily agree were not accurate).

You have to decide if you want to spend $400 more now, or if you might end up spending even $400 more than that if you end up upgrading to the K10D later.
The cool thing is that your lenses will still be good on either (with some slight exceptions).

If you're like me, and you have a misses you can recycle a K100D down to, it's not so much of a loss to upgrade later.
If you just want to buy one camera, you can't go wrong with the K10D over the K100D if you have the extra $400.

07-11-2007, 12:18 AM   #53
Inactive Account

I just got the K10D as my first DSLR and love it! This is acutally my first go with digital photography, up untill now I did almost all of my shots with a a fully manual film slr (Nikon FM10) I found all the features a bit overwhelming at first, but after about a week of playing around taking pictures of the cats and reading the manual i feel pretty comfortable with it lol. If you plan to really grow in the hobby and are in it for the long run, i would go with the K10D if you have the funds.

Best Regards,

Ryan C.
07-11-2007, 04:13 AM   #54
Inactive Account

The K10D is far simpler to use than the K100

Surely? Thats's the reason it's got all the buttons and everythign is so accessible. I played with both fo ra couple of hours before buying and every time i said to myself (or the assistant) 'how do you do...' the answer was much simpler on the K10D. I had to have that camera... it ws so much more like using my old basic K1000! Oh and you can't use camera scene modes if you shoot RAW anyway.

It's a shame though as I like the smaller size and weight of the K100D... the K10D is proving to be quite a weight on my shoulders after a while... the K100D you wouldn't notice was in your bag. When I had a Nikon D50 I kept thinking someone had stolen it because it was so light in my bag!

Oh and the better high ISO would have def been a benefit.. and lack of those damn lines in soem of my low light shots! damn it! I would say buy the K10D and then the K100D as an altrnative if you can pick one up real cheap.

Over and out
07-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #55
Forum Member

Made the Purchase

After debating with myself for the last couple of days, this morning I decided to make a K10D my prized possession. So, again I thank all who gave their opinion between the K100 and K10 and those die hard K10 users now have another follower. Love the feel of the camera certainly don't miss the scene modes will be a day or so learning some of the finer details of the camera but so far looks great. All afternoon at my desk did nothing but maul the camera glad the boss is away.

Again thanks to all for you input.
07-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #56

Congratulations on your purchase!!
07-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #57

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by property#1 Quote
After debating with myself for the last couple of days, this morning I decided to make a K10D my prized possession. So, again I thank all who gave their opinion between the K100 and K10 and those die hard K10 users now have another follower. Love the feel of the camera certainly don't miss the scene modes will be a day or so learning some of the finer details of the camera but so far looks great. All afternoon at my desk did nothing but maul the camera glad the boss is away.

Again thanks to all for you input.
I started this thread... and you got a camera out of it! Congrats on the new K10D. Hope I can follow you soon.