Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Question re the battery

I'm sure its the same with all the 10Ds but I was wondering roughly how long the lithium generally lasts before it goes dead?

Took my camera out round Sydney this weekend to take some photos and am most impressed with the results I got

Looks to be a good purchase thus far and should be even better once I get a handle on all the settings.

06-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
James, this site has a fantastic amount of useful information regarding batteries, how to cycle them, how to charge them and how long they'll last. Check out: How to prolong lithium-based batteries for Lithium-Ion batteries.

Just for curiosity, how long are people batteries lasting?

I shot 1050 shots last weekend, all JPEG, lots of reviewing, mostly Tv mode, no flash. After that the battery was still reading full! What's more the ambient temperature was about 10-16 degrees Celcius, that normally halved the life of my Ni-Mh's out of the *istDL.
06-25-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that information

I got the camera on Friday, and didn't charge the battery for my initial use. It lasted for around about 100 shots. I charged it last night, and was just wondering in general how one lasts.
06-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, I thought you meant the total life of the battery, not just one charge, hahah.

06-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #5

Battery life indication problem...

As this is my first post; Hi everybody!

(as this is battery question too, I use this thread instead of a new one)

I do have a little "problem" with the battery life indication on my K10d.
The battery indicator always goes from full to emtpy (and battery dies) in 1 sec, no indication of anything in between.
The battery last for several hundred shots so i'm not complaining about the time between charges, just a bit curious about missing indication of life left (so currently I just have to calculate/guess).

Does this get better after more recharges?
(The camera is new, only recharged the battery 5 or 6 times until now...)
06-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #6

Usually (this is what I've been told by an engineering friend), the best thing to do is:

1) Fresh out of the box, charge the battery to full
2) Use the battery until the device no longer powers on
3) Charge the battery to full

Li-Ions usually work best when you don't discharge them fully, and they don't like to be run dry often (as was what was usually done with the old generation NiCad batteries)

There is no "break in" period for the battery, though. The battery life will only get shorter as you charge it more (albeit, gradually over a period of many, many charge cycles)